Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

saltwater use

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

hudhopkins

saltwater use

Post by hudhopkins » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:09 pm

I live in galveston, Texas and own a 1940 17' sportsman chris craft i use it in salt water, however trailer it after use and then flush it for 15 minutes with freash water. My question is am I hurting the boat i maintain the wooden hull, saltwater is my only option since I live on an Island.

Thanks

tom king

Post by tom king » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:31 pm

Saltwater is actually good for the wood vs. freshwater. Unfortunately, the saltwater is going to be tough on the engine and the chrome hardware. I kept a 17ft woody on the Chesapeake and went through the same thing. Never had any problem with the wood but keeping the engine and the trailer salt free was a constant battle.

greshamj

Post by greshamj » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:10 am

I live on the Pacific ocean and run my boat boat in Salt Water (only local option). The salt is hardest on the chrome, not the hull.

I have built a fresh water clean out valve and run fresh water through the engine when I return to the dock. I believe this is the best option for your engine. Here's a picture of the valve.

John
* 16' Gar Wood Utility
* 16' Chris Craft 511 Double Cockpit Forward (project)

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:29 am

re salt water and the engine- try "salt-a-way." I use it after running on the San Francisco Bay with the Stinger's Chevy 350. It protects the engine and exhaust manifolds. Its a little pricey but worth the money considering the alternative of parts replacements due to corrosion.

Start with a small container first to see if you like it. Its much better than just running fresh water through the system.

Following directions- hook the system (a special container is provided) to your water intake/ turn water on/ start engine/ with water flowing out of exhaust- turn valve and dispense "Salt-a-way" in to the engine/ watch for soap like bubbles to come out of engine/ turn engine off/ leave "salt-a-way" in engine while stored. Product is biodegradable.
1942 17' barrelback 71923
1987 21' CC Stinger