Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Plating

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

qukalake

Plating

Post by qukalake » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:11 pm

I thought you might like to see the work of Wade Plating. Attached are the before and after pics. It took two months, but I told him I was in no hurry. He has an express service, I think. Just in case you ever need him, 215-765-2453, his work is very good. Jim's price was $60.00 + shipping, very reasonable.

Dennis

1956 C~C Holiday
Good manners,
a gift you give yourself

ameyeratl

Ehaust "Flanges"? Plural?

Post by ameyeratl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:18 am

Exhaust "Flanges"? Plural?

I only have one exhaust outlet and the copper pipe fits through the exhaust flange. It is packed with caulking rope? My Flange does not fit through the hull the same way as yours. Can you send me a picture of your transom?

qukalake

Exhaust

Post by qukalake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:05 am

Woody, I have dual exhause, with 4" copper. Both ends of the copper are connnected with a heavy rubber sleeve and double radiator clamps. Between the transom and the flare of the flange,(outside) I used a thin but firm gasket, and stainless bolts, not screws. Install after your bottom work and bright work is completed. I did not use any kind of rope packing.
Dennis

1956 C~C Holiday
Good manners,
a gift you give yourself

Take Time

CA Prices

Post by Take Time » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:18 pm

That would have cost $300 on the left coast.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:17 am

Soon I will be looking for someone to chrome plate all of the hardware for the post-war Deluxe and a few pieces from the cruiser. The choices are 1) to find a local company within reasonable driving distance or 2) to ship the parts off to someone that comes highly recommended and is competitively priced.

The tough part isn't in having confidence in a company that has an excellent reputation for doing good work for their customers, it's in trusting that the pieces will eventually find their way back home if shipping is necessary.

Buying insurance is no problem but being able to replace hard to find parts is, if they're "lost in the mail". I had some plating done locally 3 years ago which looked great then but the cleat plating has already worn off (cruiser). Live and learn I suppose as I'll not repeat that mistake.

Just how confident should I be in todays shipping industry on a scale of 1 to 10?

Al

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:05 am

Hi Alan,
I have the same type of exhaust as yours, the copper pipe passes through the transom. The purist's way to seal this type of exhaust is to wrap small diameter flax packing around the pipe on the exterior of the transom then install the outside trim over that, When the trim ring is tightened down over the packing, it compresses it into a small bevel on the outside of the transom around the exhaust hole and seals the pipe. If you look closely at your transom you should see this small bevel.
Personally I used 5200 instead of the flax packing material. This works perfectly and is still removable if neccessary.

Craig
1957 18' SeaSkiff #SK 18675 "Knot Sure!"
1958 18' SeaSkiff #SK18722 "Wreckreation"

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl
1988 FourWinns 245 Vista - Blue Ayes.

It's good to have wood!

rpccc43

Shipping Confidence

Post by rpccc43 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Al,

I have spent thousands on plating for my Connie and both transactions were via mail with no difficulties. The only challenge I had was getting the first batch through Canadian Customs. I had used a firm that had a drop off/pick up point in Buffalo. They had no problem transporting them into Canada but could not transport them back out due to some recent Canadian legislation. They solved the problem by shipping them back to me UPS.The 2nd batch was with Wade and no problems at all shipping UPS. He ships them back to you in the same box you send them to him so pick a good sturdy box and tape every seam. To answer your question I would give the parcel carriers a 9 (avoid the post office though).

Randman

Dale Harris

Wade Plating

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Jim Wade does a really good job of plating but please be advised he does not do any metal repair. I got this directly from Jim. So, if you need repair work done on your platable pieces please note, he cannot do it.
1955 Chris-Craft 29' Semi-Enclosed Crusier "Mon Ami"

rpccc43

Metal repair

Post by rpccc43 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:04 pm

Dale,

You are right on about repairs with Wade. However for those that need it, Cambridge Custom Chome, http://www.custom-chrome.com/ will do metal repairs. Pricier than wade but outstanding show quality workmanship.

Randman