Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

staining blonde insert on transom

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

keithandkerry

staining blonde insert on transom

Post by keithandkerry » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:55 pm

Hi all
about to stain blonde area on a 21 ft capri. The area of concern is the transom. Is the white stripe portion carved into the transom or simply painted on? If it is recessed, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Howard Lehman

Re: staining blonde insert on transom

Post by Howard Lehman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am

I can't speak for this area on the Capri, but I can for the Riviera which pre-dated the Capri. The Riviera's aft deck blond area extends down the "waterfall" of covering board into part of the top plank of the transom. This area is grooved. As I had to replace all decks, covering boards and transom of the 20' Riviera, I used those original planks that were damaged for templates. I drew the design on the new wood, used straight edges as best I could, scribed the lines, then went over the scribed lines with a dremel tool or multi master tool to further "carve" (as you say) these lines. Careful hands, eye protection and steady nerves produced a decent result. Then I used creased sandpaper to smooth the scribed lines if needed. Others may have better ideas, but this worked for me on my Riviera. Good luck with your Capri. Howard

keithandkerry

Re: staining blonde insert on transom

Post by keithandkerry » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:14 am

Howard It sounds do-able but oh so frightening!!!
Thanks for the reply