Thanks everyone for the guidance. It was a long day... finally got the engine on a dolly a couple minutes ago. I'll try to flip the boat tomorrow.
Here are some pics of the day's adventures. For some reason my computer nuked all the pictures and all I could resurrect were these 'thumbnails', but hopefully you'll get the gist.
I lowered the steering column here:
These gantries took me way too long to make... I suppose 5 hours or so. Hope they hold!
I sistered 2 x 10's at the top and they rest on 4x4 posts with a tie-in, along with gussets and braces. I borrowed the design from another user with a blogspot on his barrelback.
My little man helping out. He was in charge of tool checkout and random bolt loosening. He'll be three in a couple months:
This is 1 ton chain hoist from Harbor Freight. It pulled it up nicely... once I finally got the exhaust hose loosened off the copper pipe. Whoops!
Really tight squeeze here. The hoist is as high as it will go and the trailer as low as it will go. 1/2" to spare:
Boat pushed forward and now lowering the engine. Gantry is holding really well... no flex:
Safe and sound!
Thanks again for all the advice! Hopefully I'll have time to flip it tomorrow so I can start dealing w/ this:
Barrier paint and CPES is on the way, hopefully I'll have it in the water by next weekend. Depending on what we find here, I may just try to float it for the summer and 5200 it over the winter.