Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

KL stalling issue

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

trebot

KL stalling issue

Post by trebot » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:39 am

Have a KL (1956) which is giving me fits. It runs fine out on the lake at all speeds for a few minutes, then stalls. It will start right back up, run fine for a few minutes, then stall again.
I had the Pertonic ignition (Ignitor and Flamethrower coil). Thought that might be the problem, so I changed back to ignition points system and new coil. Same problem with no change whatsoever.
What baffles me and the guys here in SE Michigan I talk to is she starts right back up and runs fine for a few minutes.
I bought a low pressure electric fuel pump ( 30 GPH, 2-3.5 PSI) that I was going to try. Thought I'd pick your expertise first.

Captain Nemo

Re: KL stalling issue

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:06 am

I don’t know if I’m helping but in most cases a rule of thumb is, if it kinda sputters and stumbles then dies, I would look towards a fuel problem. If it just shuts down like someone turned off the ignition, it’s usually an electrical issue. :?
Seems like you may have ruled out the ignition parts. When she quits, is the sediment bowl dry?
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:30 am

I recall some older posts like this where the distributor cap was the issue - maybe cracked and failing as it heats up ?

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

John DeVries

Post by John DeVries » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:15 am

Was working on a 390 Ford Interceptor (Century) a year ago that had somewhat similar symptoms. The engine would runs great for some minutes, then lose RPM for a few seconds to the point of nearly stopping, then come back. The engine would repeat this continuously. It was the distributor condenser.

John

trebot

Post by trebot » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:58 pm

The only thing common between Pertronic and points is the cap and rotor. The actions of the motor were the same.
Next time out, I'm changing out the distributor cap if it acts up again. I'm also gonna see if the carb bowl has fuel. We'll see what happens.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 am

Vapor Lock?.....and those terrible foreign made condensers???? My vote it fuel delivery....
John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)