Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

remove motors

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

gbmacca

remove motors

Post by gbmacca » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi, My 55' Constellation sunk two years ago and after I had taken out injectors of my twin Detroit 8v71's and had motors turning, was advised by assessor to 'stop, as the more I did, the less I would get'.
9 months later, totally seized and battled to get a 'gratia' payment of 20k.
Now I need to remove motors. Any advice, suggestions that can be made to lessen damage, expedite ease of removal.

Many thanks

GB

Captain Nemo

Re: remove motors

Post by Captain Nemo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi GB, sounds like a sad situation you have. In retrospect, going ahead and getting the Detroit’s cleaned out and running right away probably would have been better. I don’t know if the 20k is going to go far enough.
If you can post some pics of where these beasts reside someone may help w/ ideas on how to proceed with removal. Depending on the configuration of your boat, removal might be pretty straightforward or difficult.
My father took on a engine rebuild job back in the 70’s in a 52’ Roamer tri cabin configuration. He ended up stripping the Detroit down to bare block and stuffing it out the side cabin window. :shock:
I don’t know if I have helped at all. Best of luck to you.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

tkhersom

Re: remove motors

Post by tkhersom » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:19 am

Hi GB:
I agree with Nemo on this. It sounds like you received some bad advice regarding your engines, that being said the 71 series are tough engines.
As far as removal goes I think Nemo again has an interesting proposal. I have also heard of many rebuilds taking place in the hull if there is not too much machine work that is needed. As far as removal goes as a whole unit I think you will need the advice and guidance of a good shipwright and/or restorer for the project.
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat