Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Battery cables

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jake

Battery cables

Post by jake » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:50 pm

GENTLEMEN, I AM LOOKING FOR ORIGINAL BATTERY CABLES FOR MY 1941 CHRISCRAFT. K 95 HERCULES,WHAT TYPE WERE THEY AND WHO MAKES THEM INCLUDING CLAMPS ? THANKS JAKE

Bilge Rat

Re: Battery cables

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:37 am

Restoration Supply Company has the cloth covered battery cable and a multitude of battery lugs and clamps. You could also try Brillman Company for the same items. You will have to make the cables yourself which isn't too difficult. If you're running a 6 volt system, you should use 1/0 gauge cables. If 12 volts, you can use #2 gauge. Both companies have the lugs and connectors in crimp or solder types and sell the drop in solder "pellets" if you choose to go that way.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

cenger

Post by cenger » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:34 am

Rhode Island Wire is another source for vintage wiring and connectors
1935 Gar Wood 16-35
1929 Gar Wood 28-30

jake

Post by jake » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Thank you for helping a new guy to this great hobby JAKE

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Jake,

Before you purchase your battery cables you need to figure out the length, color and gauge of the wire.

If you have a 6V system then you will probably need 0 gauge cables where 12V could use 1 or 2 gauge.

A period correct wiring diagram should tell you what color for the positive and negative cables. Both could have been black back then.

As far as the length goes you really should have your battery as the position of the terminals will determine it. You really want the cables as short as possible.

One more consideration is if you want an in line cutoff switch. Although not original I added one as a safety feature to make sure the battery was disconnected whenever the boat was not in use.

I second RI wire. They may actually make the whole cable for you.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

jim g

Post by jim g » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 am

Back then on Chris Craft they were all black cloth braided.

I make up the ones for customers boats. I have Rhode Island wiring do a custom braiding for me with a single red tracer in it. Its not original but seems to cut down on owners hooking up there battery backwards.

0 gauge would be the correct size. As the boats back then were 6 volt. I put that in all of them whether 6 or 12 volt. You can't go wrong with a thicker cable if your running 12 volts.