Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Ammeter wiring

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Mark Moore

Ammeter wiring

Post by Mark Moore » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:13 pm

I just had my gauges rebuilt and have been combing the net especially boatbuzz to learn how to wire the ammeter. Would someone tell me if I have it right. Battery via the starter to one side of the shunt. Load and altenator (l'm using a single wire altenator) to the other side. The wires to the ammeter go load to negative pole on ammeter, battery to the positive pole. Have I got this figured out?

Doug P

Re: Ammeter wiring

Post by Doug P » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Many Diagrams available... Just click on Electrical Systems on the right

Mark Moore

Post by Mark Moore » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 pm

Not sure what you mean "just click on electrical systems on the right" would you be so kind as to explain?

drrot

Post by drrot » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:55 am

Maybe this will help.
Attachments
1950 riv wiring.JPG
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:22 am

Mark Moore wrote:Not sure what you mean "just click on electrical systems on the right" would you be so kind as to explain?
At the bottom of this page where you clicked on "Post Reply" there is a box on the right that says: Jump to "Electrical Systems"

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:00 am

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Don't wire the horn to the load side as it will just peg the meter when you blow it.

After you wire everything when you engage a load you should see a negative deflection on the meter and when you reach charging RPMs a positive deflection.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

jim g

Post by jim g » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Mark Moore wrote:I just had my gauges rebuilt and have been combing the net especially boatbuzz to learn how to wire the ammeter. Would someone tell me if I have it right. Battery via the starter to one side of the shunt. Load and altenator (l'm using a single wire altenator) to the other side. The wires to the ammeter go load to negative pole on ammeter, battery to the positive pole. Have I got this figured out?
What year amp gauge are you trying to wire up?

Only the 1958 and later Chris Craft gauge required a shunt to keep from frying the gauge. The earlier ones do not need it.

If its the later style gauge not only do you need the shunt the wiring to and from the gauge has to be a certain length.

If you do have the later gauges. Just search on here for a wiring diagram dated from the 60's.