Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Riviera Self Bailer Components

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Riviera Wish

Riviera Self Bailer Components

Post by Riviera Wish » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:26 pm

Would like to purchase the thru-hull and other components of the self bailer for a 1952 Riviera. Can anyone recommend a source?
Thanks,
Steve
P.S. Yes, I am aware of the drawbacks and hazards of a self-bailer.

Doug P

Re: Riviera Self Bailer Components

Post by Doug P » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:21 pm

there are several blogs here that discuss the pro's and con's of self bailers. I am in the con group, myself, but if you havent read them, you might want to do so before taking the plunge, so to speak.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:33 pm

pro :D

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:45 am

Pro here, assuming a quality seacock type of ball valve is installed at the thru hull fitting. Also assuming, you can actually get at the valve without ripping out the aft seats.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:34 am

Also worthy noting; make sure the anti-siphon hole at the top of the bend is not plugged up, double clamp any hoses used in the bailer and make sure your trailer bunks are far away from the thru hull and you use trailer guides so the boat doesn't come down on the thru hull :!:
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Thank you all for the warnings and suggestions. The handle for the ball valve should be located just forward of the fuel tank in the Riviera engine compartment for easy access, no?
Side note: When I was a youngster back on the Hudson River in upstate NY we would drill a hole in the transom down next to the keel just above the bottom and plug it with a bottle stopper. Plug would be pulled when up 'on plane' for easy bailing! It was important to remember to reinsert plug; never lost a boat.

homeiste

Post by homeiste » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:16 am

Just a thought-- how does inserting a valve at the base of the siphon affect the overall geometry of the system? A two inch valve case would raise the whole assembly, including the pickup opening, two inches, leaving two inches of water in the bilge that can't be removed. To maintain the siphon's effectiveness after adding a valve, you may need to alter dimensions of the rest of the components.
1960 18' Continental
1970 Boston Whaler Sakonnet w/ Bearcat 55 outboard

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:21 am

If you want the benefits of the auto bailer then install as factory and maintain. If you are just interested in the correct look then put it in without the hole in the bottom.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

Riviera Wish

Post by Riviera Wish » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Purchased the thru-hull and siphon 'loop' from Fine Wood Boats. Now have a few questions regarding installation of the self bailer in an 18' Riviera.
Can someone tell me the coordinates of the thru-hull in the bottom relative to the boat centerline and the exterior transom face?
The thru-hull fitting has an OD (outside diameter) of about 1 1/8" and the siphon loop has an OD of 1"; how are the different ODs
accommodated in the hose hook-up? Could wrap tape around the siphon tube to make it 1 1/8" OD.
What size hose is used for the hook-up?
Source of hose with 1 1/8" ID if required?
What type of hose clamps are used, stainless steel ?
Where and how is the siphon loop mounted to the hull structure?

Thanks in advance for installation information. BTW I may install a ball valve just above the thru-hull fitting as a safety feature.
Steve

Tom Gruenauer

Post by Tom Gruenauer » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:44 am

Before you drill the hole in your hull make sure that your trailer bunks will not be under the through hull fitting. I will not be installing a through hull fitting in my 1928 Chris Craft for this very reason. All of the original self bailer components will be installed except the through hull.
Attachments
PA130625.JPG