Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Spark plug wires with Electronic Ignitionn

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

bongocruiser

Spark plug wires with Electronic Ignitionn

Post by bongocruiser » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm thinking of replacing my plug wires and found they sell solid core copper wires for points and condenser ignitions and Silicone Insulated with Spiral Wound Suppression Core for electronic ignition. I converted my Model K to Pertronix ignition-does that mean I need to replace my copper core plug wires?

tkhersom

Re: Spark plug wires with Electronic Ignitionn

Post by tkhersom » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:18 am

Good question. I do not know, but would like to hear what people say.

My gut says if it is running good don't mess with it, if you are replacing them anyway get what is best.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

homeiste

Post by homeiste » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:04 pm

I recently dealt with this issue installing a Pertronix unit on Fisher-Pierce Bearcat 4 cycle outboard from the late 60s. Pertronix makes three different units, the Ignitor, Ignitor II, and Ignitor III. The Ignitor II has adapative dwell, not sure what additional features the Ignitor III incorporates, but (from the manuals) the II and III have electronic components that are sensitive to electromagnetic interference and therefore require the suppression core wires. Apparently the original Ignitor is not sensitive to EMI, and can therefore handle solid core wires or suppression wires either one. So, as far as I can tell, the answer is that it depends on which type of Pertronix unit you have installed. If your engine has been running fine with solid core wires, I presume you have the original Pertronix unit and you can continue to use solid core wires.
1960 18' Continental
1970 Boston Whaler Sakonnet w/ Bearcat 55 outboard

bongocruiser

Post by bongocruiser » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:11 pm

That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I have a type 1 and it works well with copper so I will keep it that way.

My childhood boat was a Glastron with a 55hp Homelite. All three of us kids took turns beating that boat and motor and the motor won. It was indestructible. I had it from 1967 until 1980 when I traded it for my 1942 17' CC Special. I was told it was based on a Crosley car motor turned on end.

homeiste

Post by homeiste » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:20 pm

People either love or hate the Homelite/Bearcat, doesn't seem to be a middle ground. You are correct that the 55 hp version is a modified Crosley engine on end.
1960 18' Continental
1970 Boston Whaler Sakonnet w/ Bearcat 55 outboard

jim g

Post by jim g » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:39 pm

When I first started installing Pertronix on these boats 10 years ago. I talked to the techs at Pertronix. They said solid wires were fine. This was before they had Igniter 2 and 3. Now they say to use the spiral wound wires on all of them. I still use the solid wires on all my customers boats. They will last a lot longer then the others.