Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

CHRYSLER ROYAL ENGINE stalling more frequently

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

DennyDowning

CHRYSLER ROYAL ENGINE stalling more frequently

Post by DennyDowning » Thu May 29, 2014 12:42 am

Spent many tears restoring my 1929 Chris Craft Cadet. The Chrysler Royal Marine Engine is one of the first projects I did. I contracted the engine be rebuilt by a competent rebuilder. I replaced the pistons rings and rebabited the bearings. That was 30 years ago. I also had the original fuel tank relined. Not to sure about that process but if I remember correctly they dumped in five gallons of liquid neoprene and rolled the tank in all directions. It did need it and I feel the job was good. The tank has no leaks. I have a concern with ethenol fuel on the tank lining. My fuel pump is a Stewart Warner Vaccuum pump which operates off intake manifold vaccuum. It seems to work EXTREEMELY well. I have 1/4" copper tubing from the tank to the fuel pump. From the fuel pump the fuel travels through a in-line fuel filter and 1/4" copper tube to the SCHWEBLER TYPE "S" Carb.

The boat first returned to the water in the fall of 2013. It seemed to be doing very good. After about ten hours the RPM's had increased to 2700. (UPDATE HERE - THE TACH WAS OFF actual is 2200 - 2300) On my GPS we were doing about 25MPH. I did have some trouble adusting the idle speed. There are adjustments for Idle, crusing, and full throttle. It seemed at idle the engine was loading up, running to rich and would stall. Well yes, it was partially my fault for setting the timing advance at full retard when ideling. I have since determined the timimg advance should stay mostly all the time at full advance or almost full. Please let me know if this is wrong as it would indicate possible other adjustmentst that should be made.

Okay back to the subject - stalling. Last fall I blamed the rare stalling on loading up or running rich at idle or low speed. I could pump the throttle incresaing the RPM's and clear her out. Then running at constant cruising speed for 10 min's and she stalled. Talk about a heart pound for me. Fortunately, I hit the starter and she started right up. This happened a few more times last fall. For winter storage I filled the thirty gallon tank. I put in ethenol fuel and I used the "blue" fuel stableizing treatment; it is supposed to stabilise and absorb water. NOTE: I have no water seperator in the fuel line. I was told it would creat a restriction. We had a very hard winter here in Algonac, both long and cold. But soon as I could I lowered the hoist and fired her up and out I went. She stalled a few times but fired right up so I finished a short ride and broght her back. A few days later I took her out and she stalled even more after less then 5 min's. But since she had always restarted I figured I take her for a ride - going up river of coarse. She kept stalling after a min or two and then started to not start so easy. I was pumping the gas to keep her running and then when I got her running the speed was increasing and decreasing for a min or two untill she smoothed out as I was bringing her to port.

At first i thought is was a fuel restriction of some sort. I checked the atmosphere breather tubes on the fuel tank and the vaccuum tank as well as checking all the filters. Everything was good. I was dissapointed a little as I thought it felt a lot like my outboard when I forget to open the vent on the fuel can. So then I figured the restriction must be in the in-line fuel filter. I was about to remove the filter and just put in a hose in it's place to see if that would sove the problem. NOTE: I was told that a fuel filter and water seperator would create to much restriction. When I started to disconnect the fuel lines from the carb I could see it was loaded with fuel. This did not look like a carb that was starving for fuel - not at all. I could only think of one other fuel related issue and that would be the float. I pulled the carb off the engine; according to the little bit of documentation I have the float appears to be fine.

Brings me to water. While studying the carb I located the screw plug used to DRAIN WATER FROM THE CARB'S BOWL. Interesting I thought. I had already removed the carb and emptied the QUART of fuel out and unfortunately did not put in in a clear container to observe. I wasn't thinking that was the problem. But now I am running out of options. All the mechanics look good. Could my stalling problem and loss of power be water in the fuel? I am thinking there might be an old boater out there that remembers some of this stuff. I am learning but my gosh.

I hope I did not bore you with information. Guess us old mechanical anal types are just that way. But I would appreciate some input. If I have water in the fuel then what is recommended. No point in trying to make a bigger problem. Also, any input with using an in-line water filter and if it could cause a severe fuel restriction to the engine.

I sincerely appreciate your help,
They say respect and listen to your elders - but they are getting harder to find.

Denny Downing
Last edited by DennyDowning on Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

maritimeclassics

Re: CHRYSLER ROYAL ENGINE stalling more frequently

Post by maritimeclassics » Thu May 29, 2014 6:57 am

I have been though this more than once. Question, will your engine run at idle and not stall? You need to watch the fuel bowl when it's running to see if you have bubbles in it or if its only 3/4 the way full of fuel when running and then stalls. Your going to have to go through a process of elimination starting at the tank. I have found a number of problems over the years. One time it was the lining in the tank that was loose and hitting the bottom of the pick-up tube causing it to starve fuel. One boat it was the pick-up tube it self that had a hole in it about half way up so with a full tank it ran great but less then half it stalled out. But now a days with the ethanol fuel most of the time it's the fuel pump.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Thu May 29, 2014 7:46 am

You folks at MaritimeClassice are really great. Your contributions are pretty darn good too.

The 1929 CHRYSLER ROYAL MARINE ENGINE was stalling at idle. But I think I solved that problem; I have not tested this recently but she did not stall when ideling in to port. I think I solved the ideling issue by adjusting the idle screw on the carb and leaning it out because it think it was getting too much fuel - could have been the reverse - but NOW I learned that once the engine starts set the timing advance to full and no problem. Sorry to be so wishy-washie but this is what I know. The boat was doing fine at idle the last two times I had her out and did'nt start to stall untill I passed through mid RPM 1500-2000. Also the RPM would not go much over 2000.

Fuel tank is original and it is a bottom feeder (I know). The pickup is not a pickup it is more of a drain cock on the bottom port side of the tank. Any water in the tank is going to get sucked in I would say for sure. Also it really did appear that I had ALL KINDS OF FUEL AT THE CARB. It is hard to drive and look at the fuel filter at the same time so I am looking after the fact. All the fuel lines are new 1/4"copper. I don't think ethanol will hurt anything in this engines fuel system. There basically is no rubber parts. I may have seen an "O" ring in the carb.

The fuel pump is a vacuume tank. It uses a float in an upper tank to fill the lower tank and then the fuel is simply gravity feed to the carb. My motor expert Mike Murley @ Murley Marine said that he has experienced the problem of using a water seperator and fuel filter starving the engine because the gravity feed carb could not suck enough fuel through. I have thought about this a lot. I am going to redo the fuel lines and install the fuel filter and add a water seperator between the tank and the pump. That way my intake manifold pressure should pull the fuel through and into the vaccuum canister. (UPDATE - I NEVER PUT IN A WATER SEPERATOR)

I understand it will take some expeimenting to rule out certain items from being the problem. I am not upset at all. After 30 years of restoration work, mostly all by myself, I was expecting it is going to take some time to get the engine and transmission things all worked out mechanically. One thing at a time is the rule for me. I am just so excited to take her out and enjoy working on her however I am getting up there and need to pass on knowledge as well. I have always loved these old boats and am so proud to be an owner. Thank you all for your valuable help.

Denny Downing
Last edited by DennyDowning on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Gruenauer

Post by Tom Gruenauer » Thu May 29, 2014 7:56 am

Having a vacuum tank and not a mechanical or electrical fuel pump makes this more of a challenge. I would mount (safely) a small fuel tank close to you vacuum tank. Eliminate the water/fuel separator and the large tank. My guess is that the Vacuum tank can't pull the fuel that far plus through the fine micron W/F separator. If my memory serves me the most vacuum is at Idle, as rpms go up you have less vacuum.

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Thu May 29, 2014 8:16 am

I agree Tom, I would use a temporary fuel source and it would rule out a lot of things. I don't believe your problem is water in the fuel.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Thu May 29, 2014 9:33 am

I like the suggestion a lot.

I have a tank I can put known good fuel in and gravity feed straight to the carb. Guess I'll block the vaccuum line off too. That would rule out a lot of stuff if it still has the problem and indicate the carb. A good friend with massive knowledge in carboration wants to inspect the needle and seat. But your advice is well taken and has the benifit of easily being done.

Thanks, it may be a few days before I get to it, well could possibly be today. Awful nice out there on the river. I will try this first and let you know what happens. To me, the best thing would be that the problem goes away thus ruling out the carb. You know if it does work well I'll drain fuel from my main tank and try it again in the remote tank and see if it passes or fails. Got me thinking right men....

Denny Downing

Ollon

Post by Ollon » Thu May 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Good luck with your experiments. Just make sure you are careful disconnecting and reconnecting all your fuel lines and let everything air out well before trying to start the engine for obvious reasons. Get rid of the gravity feed ASAP. I was having an issue with an occasional rough running engine. When I took out the tank to remove the gravity feed, I found pieces of broken glass from a stern light in the tank and a couple pieces were lodged in the feed tube fitting. Go figure. Somewhere along the line someone must have broken the stern light while refueling and some fell in the tank. It was just enough to cause fuel flow problems. After I changed to siphon feed I had no issues. I guess its all part of the mysteries and secrets that our 75 year old plus boats have. Mike Murley is a great resource. If I ever make it to Fair Haven, I owe him one hell of a steak dinner.

Also I saw your bow pole posting. The tape should work fine. My Dad would always dip the end in the water before installing it. The wood then swells up and it stays put. Just thought I share an old Downing family trick.

Good Luck,
Ollon Downing

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Fri May 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Problem Solved

Where do I begin.
Okay, I can tell you it was not water in the fuel.
What I did today with the help of two good friends.
Actually I started yesterday by removing and rebuilding my fuel line.
I needed to move my in-line fuel filter from between the fuel pump and the carburator to in between the fuel tank and the fuel pump.
Now the manifold vaccuum is pulling fuel through the filter instead of gravity; I think this is the biggest improvement.
I did find debris in the filter screen leading into the fuel pump.
It was of sufficient quantity that it could have contributed to a starving fuel situation.
And is another good reason to move the fuel filter to between the tank and the pump.
We also adjusted the valves and inspected the distributor.
Turns out the valves were adjusted to the IMPERIAL SPECS so I adjusted them to the proper Spec for the ROYAL.
I pulled the carburator and inspected it. We did a vacuum test on the needle and seat and found it had a slight leak.
We kinda looked at each other and laughed as basically all the carb is is a controled leak.
We used some ultra fine lapping and cleaned it up leaving no more bypass.
Put on some fresh gaskets.
Put everything back together and splashed her.
She starts right up every time and that has always amazed me.
We closed the tool boxes hopped in and took her out.
Nothing but solid performance and a feel of reliability.
So I think there were multipal contributing issues causing her to stall and getting worse.
It was definately a fuel issue but I was using the same fuel.
My RPM's are still down about 500 rpm and I expect it my be a spark plug.
New plugs will be here Monday.
After installing the new plugs I will take her out and set the timing advance.
Gotta a strong feeling that will help.
Thank the lord for good friends with knowledge.
Being in that engine compartment adjusting those 85 year old valve adjusters was an ardious task.
If I left anything out or you have any questions let me know.
I do appreciat the help and hope some of this discussion is helpful to others.
(UPDATE - FUEL WAS NOT THE PROBLEM)

Thanks Ollon for sharing the Downing Bow Pole Dipping Tradition.
I love it.

Denny Downing
Last edited by DennyDowning on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Robinson

Post by Brian Robinson » Fri May 30, 2014 9:31 pm

Just to be clear, we are talking about a SIX cylinder JM Royal, right?
-Brian
1923 Hackercraft 23' Dolphin #03
1938 Gar Wood 22' Streamliner #6256 Empress
1952 Chris~Craft 19' Racing Runabout #363 Thunderstruck
Robinson Restoration, LLC (760) 468-1009

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Fri May 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Yes, Absolutely Right.
A 1929 CHRYSLER MARINE Six Cyl. JM Motor 82HP
Converted to 12V
I also changed the fuel pump from the electric to vacuum.
Otherwise the engine is pretty much as it was made.
It is also the original engine in this boat - hard to imagine.

Denny Downing
Last edited by DennyDowning on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

drrot

Post by drrot » Sat May 31, 2014 7:49 am

Check the dwell before you set the timing
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks for suggesting I check the dwell Jim.
Turns out that the gap was more then twice what the spec is.
I have now set the dual points using a feeler gage; may check again.
When I did that the engine began to run a little rougher at idle.
Haven't set the timing advance yet - ummmmm... kinda afraid to get jolted at top speed.
I'll get it.

I did take her out on a nice long run and no stalling.
I vote for the fuel filter on the wrong side of the fuel pump as the stalling problem.
Can't explain why it happened at various speeds.

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Well, here we are a year later and I am still getting an ocassional stall. I need to clairfy something about my RPM's. Turns out my tachometer was messed up when I stated 2700 RPM. This 1929 82 HP Chrysler Royal turns to about 2200 RPM. Seems like it would do it all day too.

Okay back to stalling out. I have learned that the greatest vacuum is at idle and that vacuum at full throttle is about zero. This could be part of my issue. Always seems to stall at or near full throttle. Often the stall happens after a big wave or a hard turn. The thing that gets me is she starts right back up with no hesitation. Hit the starter and go - like it never happened....

So for anyone interested I am going to just run her and see if I can start to see any type of consistancy to the stall. This only happens once or twice now on a two or three hour trip and is not a real problem because she starts right back up. But I will report back if I get her the way she should be. Actually, she did come with an electric fuel pump when she was made. The stall kinda reminds me of, in the old days, when the condensor on the distributor would blow. Driving along then nothing. No way to restart after that I know but that is how it feels.

Going to try and put in a picture of my vacuume fuel pump.
Attachments
IMG_1283[1].JPG
Stewart Warner Vacuume Fuel Pump
Last edited by DennyDowning on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClassOf56

Post by ClassOf56 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:25 pm

When it stalls, is it immediate? Or does it start to run rough and spit and sputter until it quits?

It almost sounds like an issue with the coil if it's an immediate stall. It could heat up and short or have a broken wire supplying it that is sometimes intermittant?
Steve A
1956 18' Chris-Craft Continental

mfine

Post by mfine » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:53 pm

I agree, driving along and then nothing sounds like a loss of spark rather than loss of fuel.

cenger

Post by cenger » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:12 pm

I had a similar issue with my Chrysler Ace randomly stalling turned out to be the clum switch was bad and would lose contact when I hit a big wave.
1935 Gar Wood 16-35
1929 Gar Wood 28-30

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:29 am

Wow, Fast responses.
Ya know it always just immediately stalls.
And, trust me, immediately starts right back up with the push of the starter.
I was starting to think spark myself as fuel was making less sense.
Why would it start right back up if it was starved for fuel?
The fuel system actually seems to be working very well.
Still the old bottom feeder style......

So I went out and reviewed the ignition.
I first checked for any loose wires and found everything tight.
I looked at the condenser; oxidized but they either are good or not.
Made me think I should purchase a spare to have on hand....
The coil wire looks a little short.
I moved the advance lever back and forth and it seemed okay but looked short.
The wire cover on the coil was loose to touch.
I pulled it up and out of the coil.
The coil wire tip was barely in the pocket of the coil contact.
The top of the conductor inside the coil was almost not in contact with the conductor on the wire.
I slid the wire cover up pushed the coil wire deep into the coil and slid the cover back down.
This could have been the cause; I suppose....
The wire cover is a very loose fit and should be replaced.
Lets see what happens here.

Kinda like the CLUM switch.
Breaking contact to the ignition.
Or a broken coil wire or loose ground.
Thanks guys for getting me to look at the ignition.
Could it be that simple?
Probably not......
But still the coil wire was WRONG and could have been the problem.
Supposed to get nice here - I'll give her a run this evening.

Is it okay to say the girl on the Cobra (Helene Michelle) sure is easy to look at!

Denny

ClassOf56

Post by ClassOf56 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:56 pm

What Cobra? I was wondering why our banner no longer had a boat pictured in it.
Steve A

drrot

Post by drrot » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:01 am

ClassOf56 wrote:What Cobra? I was wondering why our banner no longer had a boat pictured in it.
It was Troy's idea. But I'll second it :lol:
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:31 am

Have logged another 6 hours on the old girl.
So far not a stall; and I put her through some real tough manauvers at speed.
I just have to say that I LOVE this boat.
I have been changing the oil after every 5 to 7 hours.
The motor just keeps getting better and stronger.
Tha babbited main bearings were very tight.
When the motor was rebuilt the builder intentionally left them a little tight.
I was told that shims were installed that can be removed in the future as the bearings wear.
The motor spun by hand with a wrench on the nose but got tougher every year.
The motor was one of the first projects I did - still an ignorant kid 30+ years ago.
Every fall I would oil and spin the crank but it kept getting harder and harder.
Pleased to say she runs very good today.
Oh, I got an oil leak here and a water leak there minor stuff and the motor doesn't seem to care.
The RPM's have been increasing and it feels strong.

Back to the stalling.
She has not stalled since I inspected and adjusted the coil wire.
However, I am uncertain this is the problem.
Just wanted to update the progress.
A friend that thinks fuel says it is likely a float in the carb.
He said the reason it stalls is not enough fuel....
The reason it doesn't sputter to stall - it just immediately dies - is because it is under a high load.
It is the lack of fuel and high torque that make it stall and still allows for an immediate restart.
He is a pretty sharp guy and I am not ruleing it out.
But still going to watch and listen for a while.
I am even watching the volume of fuel in the tank.

What a beautiful day for a boat ride.

Denny

ClassOf56

Post by ClassOf56 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:33 am

Good to hear that things are working well!

It's always a great day for a boat ride...
Steve A

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:56 am

Funny......
Took the wife out for a birthday ride and she, the boat, stalled twice.
Throttle was full both times.
Yep, I am back on board with it being a fuel issue.
Will check fuel delivery system later.
Wife is hungry now.

Denny
Last edited by DennyDowning on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Okay,
I inspected the Vacuume Fuel Canister.
If you look up, several posts, at the picture of the canister I can explain.
There are three lines going into the top of the canister and one out the bottom.
The top three are
1) Big one with the shut off is fuel intake from the fuel tank.
2) Next to fuel is the vacuum line from the engine intake manifold.
3) Funny little one, is the vacuum atmosphere release.

I wanted to check the screen in the fuel line for debris - it was clean.
But I did find the fuel intake line was only finger tight into the canister.
Yike's, perhaps just forgot to tighten it during the design and build and assumed it was tight.
It could have been a minor vacuum leak in the fuel intake.
Given that the least amount of vacuum is at full throttle, the greatest at idle, then a vacuum leak during highest fuel demand with the least vacuum - could explain what is happening.

I really like the fuel delivery system and want to give it a full chance.
Have run the tank from full, 30 gallons, down to three gallons and all seems well.
Todays stalls were on calm water at full throttle.
She stalled; I started her right back up an took off and she stalled again.
Going easier after that and having no problems.
Perhaps I just need to learn the boat better.
I can back off the throttle slightly and still be going as fast.
Certainly it uses less fuel so that could be the solution.
Another, possibly big, cause could be that I have never properly adjusted the carb for high speed operation.
Actually, I didn't adjust it much except for idle.
It just runs so good I hate to mess with it.

So, if interested stay tuned.
We will see if it was a possible vacuume leak in the fuel line.
I have ruled out spark at this point.

Oh, another thing I almost forgot.
The second time she stalled today I started flipping the throttle up and down - up and down rapidly as the boat was slowing and she sorta stayed running. She was in gear and the prop was turning the motor the ignition was on. I think this also may point at fuel as the issue.

Should know before long - weather like this !!!!!

Denny
Last edited by DennyDowning on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

jim g

Post by jim g » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:42 pm

I read everything but could have missed it. If the vacuum line is coming of the intake your going to have the least amount of vacuum at idle. More vacuum as you increase speed.

I believe some of the prewar cars like Packards use a vacuum fuel pump. From a conversation with a guy at the hilton head concours he said when his packard was restored they hide a small electric fuel pump to help feed the vacuum pump to cure the running problems they could have.

If you want I might be able to put you in contact with his restorer.

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:22 pm

To start with I just want to say the problem is not yet resolved.
It has become more immediate however.
Myself and two guests had to anchor up and call for a tow.
Yep, didn't start right back up this time.
I felt her starting to lose power, my guest having a great time in the rear cockpit, said it sounded like a miss.
I checked over all I could and nothing was wrong except a no start.
It wasn't just cranking though it was rumbling badly - noise made by the trans I think; sounds bad.
I was embarased and apolagetic but mostly worried about what was wrong.

Next morning, after very little sleep, 7:30am I pulled the spark plugs and checked compression.
Wonderful compression on all cylinders; improved from one year ago.
For information compression was 100 for the low and 115 for the high.
But I noticed improvement on all cylinders except the 115, #6, it stayed the same.

I wanted to rule out ignition so I installed a new Coil, Condenser, and Plugs.
The gap on the dual point distributor was a little under the spec of .022 but they were both the same gap.
Everything was tight but the rotor seemed slightly loose.
I was strongly hoping it was the coil.
Everything looked good so I put her back together and fired her; same problem and backfire.
I called a good friend to come and look with me.
He also felt the lose rotor - although it looked just fine.
He tried to raise the center spring to force the rotor, or rather hold the rotor, down and the spring steel broke.
It must have been fractured.
We came up with the theory that the spring had failed and as the RPM's Increased the rotor would rise on the distributor shaft and lift out of the notch.
It is not much of a notch; and when she would stall it just fell back into position.
This last time as she was starting to stall I was working the throttle trying to keep her going.
The rotor, we think slipped out of the notch because the spring steel had failed to be a spring.
So that is where I am at right now.
Need to find a 1929 Delco Remy Rotor.
See attached pictures of the distributor and rotor.
IMG_1298[1].JPG
IMG_1297[1].JPG
Also, I am assured by my much more mechanical friends that the greatest vacuum in the intake manifold is at idle.
I can not explain why but I know this to be true.
The Vacuum Fuel Pump seems to be working wonderful.
I checked and the fuel flow to the carb is a solid full flow gravity feed 1/4" line right to the carb.

Hopefully I can find the part and test it out.
I will let you know if it works.

Denny
Last edited by DennyDowning on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mfine

Post by mfine » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:00 pm

Vacuum is generally highest (pressure lowest) when the throttle is closed and closest to atmospheric (normally aspirated) when the throttle is wide open.

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Found a rotor.
Went to my antique motor guy and he is looking for the part.
Went to my local parts store where a good guy works that restores old tractors.
He came up with a part off the shelf $5.23 total.
Boy a real spring steel working rotor.
Fits very nice; but still no start.
Getting closer.
Sure is nice weather for a boat ride !!!

mfine

Post by mfine » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:26 pm

I am pretty sure that if you own enough boats, you will always have at least one that works whenever there is good boating weather.

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:22 pm

Yep. been saving the 45 year old.
Nobody wants to ride in her now the 86 year old is working.
Hey... I am going to sleep well tonight.

I installed the new rotor but had the same nostart backfire issue.
Mind you, for $5.23 the rotor needed to be replaced - badly!

I cranked the #1 Cyl. to TDC and checked the position of the rotor.
Pointing squarly at position #1.

I deduced it had to be ignition.
The only thing left was the Distributor Cap, Coil Wire, or what?
So I grabbed the digital multimeter and started checking for continuity everywhere.
Everything was testing good till I tested from the underside center of the cap to the end of the coil wire.
I assumed I should have continuity but it did not.
I opened up the cap, these are not old wires, and smelled electrical burning.
This was just after testing starting with the new rotor.
All the wires looked fine so I grabbed the coil wire and lifted it off the cap.
OMG -- burned to a crisp.
IMG_1300[1].JPG
This is a picture of the end of the coil wire that was in the cap.
You could not tell by looking at it from the top; the top of the wire looked perfect.

The conductor was burned away -- tada !!!!
Now why the heck didn't I check that first?
Sleep toonight and clean her up and go for a boat ride tomorrow.

I think the bad rotor caused increased output for the coil to create a good spark.
The resistance caused heat and the conductor eventually just failed.
Not sure if this will solve the stalling problem or not; however, a lot of things have been fixed cleaned and corrected.
Learning about these old machines is kinda fun - but you need to be a little fearless too.
I am glad it was something simple.
20140630_093616_resized_1.jpg
I will let everyone know after several hours of cruising, cause I got this, if everything is good including the stalling.

Denny

homeiste

Post by homeiste » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

"I am glad it was something simple."

It seems to always end up being something simple, yet I am repeatedly amazed at how long it took me to figure out! :idea: Fortunately, there is Boat Buzz
1960 18' Continental
1970 Boston Whaler Sakonnet w/ Bearcat 55 outboard