Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Lobster Red vinyl

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Jim Bell

Lobster Red vinyl

Post by Jim Bell » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Looking for a supplier of "Lobster Red" interior vinyl for seat recovering on my 1965 CC Sea Skiff.

boatmanscm

Re: Lobster Red vinyl

Post by boatmanscm » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:25 pm

I , belive it would be called by another name today , but the color is the important factor . I have had some luck using American beauty ,or torchfire , or cutlass420.
I would say you should take a sample of the old vinyl to a auto upholstery shop . See if they have any sample books , should have at least 20 or more . Then look through and find the best color . you can even do it online just ask for samples most are free. Then once you find the color have a near by shop order it. or post a picture of the correct vinyl and I may be able to get you close .If you can not get samples from shop call Keyston Brothers in most major areas, they may allow you too look at their books , hundreds of samples.
Remember they did not have marine grade vinyls back in the day . So stay more to auto colors for best match and texture.
Stanley Marshall CUSTOM UPHOLSTER ,
Over 100 boats , @[email protected]

Jim Bell

Re: Lobster Red vinyl

Post by Jim Bell » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanks for the advice. I actually have a canvas shop at the marina I manage. I have found a couple close to the original color. Just thought someone may know what is close to original. I think there was a lot of it used on several models in the sixties. I am torn between going with the red, to stay original with the restoration or pick another color. So far, the plan is to stick to the original look.
Attachments
1965-Chris-Craft-Sea-Skiff-Brochure-2.jpg