Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Gasket material

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SAMBA

Gasket material

Post by SAMBA » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:27 am

The gasket material around the hull portholes in my 1953 Sedan Cabin Cruiser is stiff and cracking. Any leads on a good source for new gasket material? Local marina was no help.

Kerry Price

Re: Gasket material

Post by Kerry Price » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:14 pm

Since no one has chimed in I would suggest an auto parts retail store. They usually carry gasket material that comes in sheet form or in a roll. I have purchased this in a 12" wide roll but it may be available in wider widths as well.
1946 20' Custom Runabout: R-20-092
1938 19' Sportsman: 19501
http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... oat_id=532

jim g

Post by jim g » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:59 pm

SAMBA wrote:The gasket material around the hull portholes in my 1953 Sedan Cabin Cruiser is stiff and cracking. Any leads on a good source for new gasket material? Local marina was no help.

If its the same gasket material that the big round hatches on the deck use I can get the original style. It's square shaped.

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:22 am

Thank you. Jim G., it is the same type as the gasket material on the porthole cover for the deck, but for the through-hull portholes it is a bit larger dimension. You mentioned that you can get it. What is your source?
Thanks so much,
Dan M-- Samba

boatmanscm

Post by boatmanscm » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:01 am

I have had some success for boat windows at a glass shop. you could look online for a good substitute . If that has no luck , try a foam web site you most likely need a closed cell foam, I have used the materials from a wet suit on one project .good luck hope this helps you to find what you need .
Stanley Marshall CUSTOM UPHOLSTER ,
Over 100 boats , @[email protected]

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:18 pm

SAMBA wrote:Thank you. Jim G., it is the same type as the gasket material on the porthole cover for the deck, but for the through-hull portholes it is a bit larger dimension. You mentioned that you can get it. What is your source?
Thanks so much,
Dan M-- Samba
One of the marine wholesalers I deal with.