Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

New Officers

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

New Officers

Post by Al Benton » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:06 pm

Your Board of Directors 2015 are off to a good start this year. Officers for the year 2015 are as follows:

Jim Frechette - President
Al Benton - Vice President
Don Ayers - Treasurer
Jeff Rogers - Secretary

We would like to thank our outgoing officers for their service to the Club this past year, and beyond.

We owe a great deal of gratitude to Matt Fine for serving as our Treasurer in 2013 and 2014. Matt managed our funds and provided financial reports in Fine (no pun intended) fashion. We appreciate his willingness to volunteer his expertise and many hours of hard work these past two years. Thanks Matt!

We wouldn't be where we are today had it not been for Don Ayers leading the way as our President these past 3 years. He brought about a new form of governance with oversight and transparency that was necessary to allow our Club to not only survive, but to continue to serve its members indefinitely as leadership changes from year to year. Don has agreed to stay involved and to serve as our Treasurer. He and his wife Connie have worked tirelessly these past few months in the transition of responsibilities from outgoing Treasurer Matt Fine to see that our books and accounting are in order.

Paul Harrison served as our Vice President for the past 3 years and was instrumental in every facet of our recovery success. He devoted many hours to this while also serving as a very busy and involved Director for the ACBS. He will continue to serve on special projects with the ACBS as a Director at Large. We are fortunate that he will also remain on our Board of Directors this year as he continues to his service with the ACBS.

Our future as a Club is in good hands under the new leadership as selected by the Board of Directors and we look forward to serving the needs and wishes of our membership this year.

Your Board of Directors.

knotty48

Re: New Officers

Post by knotty48 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:37 pm

To Our Officers
Thanks for the dedication and hard work you all put into our club. I know that the raise this year was not much for the hours you all put in. Hope to see all of you in Florida in March.
Pete

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:26 am

Thank You All!

I was not here for the rough seas of the past, but am very grateful to all who have put in so much time and effort to make this club what it is today.

You all deserve a BIG pat on the back, or I will buy you a beer or glass of wine in Dora if you would rather.

Troy in ANE

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:26 am

Thanks Pete, and Troy for the kind words. Ha! That raise wouldn't buy a Chick on a Stick at the Sunnyland Show in March. Well, maybe if we all pitched in and shared one of them. I'll just take the well licked stick as a keep sake.

All kidding aside, I think I speak for all of our many volunteers in saying that all of us feel privileged to help out where we can. That includes the many Brass Bell contributors, Ambassidors at shows & events, as well as our Directors and Officers, and many others not mentioned. I might add that every single volunteer is a current dues paying member. Serving the membership is a pure pleasure, not a free ride.

Bill Baldwin, our Mangling Editor was not mentioned above, but should have been. He is, by far, the hardest working volunteer among all of us. He and his small staff of volunteers produce our magnificent quarterly publication, The Brass Bell every quarter AND consistently on schedule. For this we are extremely grateful. He is the Club's first ever Honorary Director, in honor of his amazing dedication to this organization.

Stay tuned for a special announcement regarding the Sunnyland Antiqus Boat Festival in Tavares, Florida. Most (if not all) board members plan to be present at the Show in March. Once again, the Club is a Bronze Sponsor at the event and will have a booth, so plan to come by and say "Hey"!
Al
Member - Executive Team

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:27 am

Nice work by all of you Al, know that we appreciate it and support you.

Looking forward to seeing you in Tavares.

John in Va.

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:55 pm

Thank you all for your hard work in getting this club back on track. And certainly a huge thanks to Bill Baldwin, he is a great guy to have in our corner for sure.

Al,

What kind of details can you give on being a Club Ambassador? I don't have tons of free time, but would certainly be happy to promote the club at any shows I attend this year. I would hope that I am not alone in this thinking. Feel free to post any details here or PM me. Thanks.

Andy in Arctic Ohio.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:35 pm

Andy, we certainly could use your help as a Club Ambassador at any shows and events that you will be attending this season. This is great, and serves as a good opportunity to let all Boat Buzz fans know that we could use all of the help with this program that we can get.

We will be organizing this very soon and will contact you to coordinate locations of shows that you may be able to serve as our Ambassador.

If others are willing and able to represent the Club as an Ambassador, email me at [email protected] and I will get you lined up with our Ambassador Program coordinator.

Thanks Much, Andy!
Al
Member - Executive Team

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:42 am

Al;

You are a gentleman for sure. I assure everyone that no one has put in more consistent time into the CCABC than Al over the last 3-4 years. Al is the guy behind the membership curtain and makes the day to day operations possible. It's been a pleasure serving with him.

I feel like I've been away from this board and the "fun" side of things for many many years. Looking forward to getting back to posting and having fun. As a Board member and President I was restricted (self imposed) from commenting about many things. I just believed that it was not appropriate to comment in that position.

With that off my chest let's have some fun over the winter! I finally got the long awaited Zebra interior done. Only took three years to make and 6 months to get sewn.
Attachments
Zebra aft seat.JPG
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:06 am

Don:

That is AWESOME! Will I be able to get a first hand look in Taveres?

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:18 am

Ha! not a chance. Still putting boat together. I got sidetracked by a couple of Corvettes :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_1677.JPG
Vette home.JPG
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:54 am

Holy Zebra, those Corvette are also Amazing!

The book-matched Zebra print interior is incredibly beautiful, very fitting for your Riva Artisan.

Thanks for the kind words Don. I truly enjoy doing what I can for the Club. I only wish that my efforts could be more effective in growing our membership and in keeping more of our new members with us for more than a year.

We, as a board will be working very hard to improve our web presence, to add more user-friendly search features, and other much needed and up-to-speed visual improvements that will benefit ALL members, and will be more welcoming to visitors that may drop by to see what we, as a Club are all about. We are hopeful that these changes will convince our newer members that we present true value for their hard earned buck and stay with us longer.

Although I still lead the pack for the most Boat Buzz Posts, I too have been fairly quiet here on the forum. I miss it too, Don. There's no good excuse, however, lame it may sound, I have been busy practically every day with Club business of one sort or another. Believe me, I enjoy what I do, but miss not following topics and participating in them.

Don, it has been a pleasure working with you as our President. Thanks Much for your leadership in restoring this Club, uprighting the Ship and bringing it about to a True Coarse. Without your actions and guidance we would either be struggling, or possibly sunk by now. Thanks for this, and for staying with us as our Treasurer. Please also pass along our thanks to Connie, who spends many hours both helping you and allowing you to spend much of your personal time on Club business.
Al
Member - Executive Team

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:28 am

While I am posting here on FROM THE CLUB, I have a couple of reminders to mention.

First, please make sure that we have your current email address in your Club Account. To do this, go to My Account while logged in and change it if necessary. This is our primary no cost way of contacting you and, thus, is critical for us to Communicate with you and to keep you informed. Check it now!

Second, our Online Payment System remains extremely secure in spite of recent retail business breaches that we hear about on the news. Those breaches came about because retailers store credit information in their own data systems. We do not!!! And will not!!! When you renew online, your connection with PayPal or your credit card is completely isolated from our database. We work with two of the most secure agencies in the world. They relay a payment confirmation to our system, but DO NOT share any credit information that is accessible through or from our records. I understand the lack of confidence but can assure you that your credit information does not exist anywhere in our system.

Thanks,
Al
Member - Executive Team

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:34 pm

Al, well said above! and thanks for all you do!

As president of a local historical society I know well the frustration of getting new/younger members and retaining them.....we can all put up all the web stuff we want and get inateractive and all that...but somehow we have to get the younger generation to pull us up in the first place. How? I don't know.

Look forward to seeing you in Tavares as per usual....and hope you do get back on the Buzz.....as I am now right behind you in total post!!!! Not time wasted but invested in the hobby......time well spent.

John in Va.

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:15 pm

Al,
Thanks so much for all the updated information.

Don,
WOW! you have to get the boat done. I can't wait to see that interior. I think I will strip mine out and go to Zebra..

Thanks guys for all you do!
Pete

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:48 am

My Uncle has a 26' CC Continental that had Zebra seats when he got it, but that boat has been reconfigured.

Don: As far as the Vets go I like the Blue one!

I think you should add this one to your Corvette collection. It is for sale in Canada.
Attachments
Corvette.JPG
Chris Craft Corvette

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:42 am

That's a great looking cruiser and represents one of only 34 of them built in 1968 & 1969. Both Chevy and Chris-Craft borrowed the Corvette name from European Navy ships in the same year of 1954. Of course, the breed of Corvette that Chevy created is still going strong, but didn't make huge splashes at Chris-Craft. They built only 33 in 1954 before discontinuing them until 1968 when 34 more were built of mahogany.

Herb Pocklington surprised even The Mariners' Museum - Chris-Craft Library in his story in The Brass Bell about how many fiberglass 37-foot Corvettes were produced in Fiumicino, Italy in 1977. The Essentual Guide includes only one Hull Number for this model, but Herb confirms that several of them were produced in his tenure in Europe.

Before Chevy and Chris-Craft adopted the name, Corvette was a nautical term used for small war ships smaller than a Frigit but larger than a Sloop. A Google search references only Chevy Cornettes, unless you add the term "nautical" to your search. Interesting!
Al
Member - Executive Team