Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

The Brass Bell

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

abaccus

The Brass Bell

Post by abaccus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:02 pm

What an accomplishment the Boat Buzz has achieved-4,000+ members! To go along with that, The Brass Bell is covering some very exciting ground. The next issue should be arriving at your houses any day now (I received mine a day or two ago). With that being said, we have been contacted by many people who are interested in contributing to The Bell, and we have received some great ideas for future issues!

Anyone who is interested in contributing articles or ideas to future issues-it's not too late! We always welcome your ideas. Shoot me an e-mail and we'll discuss any and all ideas further.

One last thing, I am very much looking forward to the Sunnyland show coming up! I will be there and I hope to see you all there as well.

-Angilla

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Angella,

I and many others look forward to meeting you in Tavares. There's usually a good number of members there for the show. As you may have seen in another post we'll have a gathering both at 4:00 pm on Friday and again on Saturday at 1:00 pm for group photos.

Many of our members are also members of the Sunnyland Chapter, ACBS and have volunteered to work either Friday or Saturday afternoon, some (like John Rothert) must leave early, so 2 gathering times will assure everyone the opportunity to meet at the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club display and be included in the group photo and some great fellowship.

Al

Wilson Wright

From the Club/Mt/ Dora

Post by Wilson Wright » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:22 am

Al:

Look forward to seeing nad meeting you, Angella and others there. Looks like another great show !
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

abaccus

Post by abaccus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Thank you all for such a warm reception - I am very much looking forward to meeting everyone as well!

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am

To the entire Chris Craft Antique Boat Club Community:

Every day and every week memories are being made and chapters in life are taking place. We need your help to bring some of thoes wonderful experiences to print.

If you have a unique experience that you think others would like to hear about I urge you to reach out to Angilla Baccus our Associate Editor.

[email protected]

The Brass Bell is the premier publication for antique and classic boating because of you, our membership.

Just the other day I spoke to a club member that saved a 55' in Florida and drove it 2000+ miles by water back to KY. What an incredible story that many would be interested in. These human interest stories are happening all the time and we need your help to share them.

Looking forward to hearing from our membership

Best Regards
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

kwmpa

Post by kwmpa » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:00 pm

when is the next issue of The Brass bell mailing out?

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:17 pm

It should start arriving in mail boxes in the next couple of weeks. Bill Basler sent a Newsletter on 8/2 to all who have an up-to-date email address stating that the Spring 2011 Brass Bell is ready to print and mail.

Al

kwmpa

Post by kwmpa » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Got the email I just assumed that it was mailing right away sine the post about it on woody boater

whamm511

Next Issue

Post by whamm511 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:28 pm

After receiving notice that the next Brass Bell would be mailed shortly I waited for a few weeks then finally I had to download it. I still haven't rec'd. a copy in the mail. Is that because I chose to download it? If so I would like to recant my download option.

whamm511

Accessing Brass Bell Online

Post by whamm511 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:06 pm

I tried to access the Brass Bell via my IPhone and cannot because it uses Adobe Flash Player which Apple apparently will not support (somebody doesn't want to pay somebody else, I'm sure). Is there a way around this? It's a lot more convenient to carry my phone than it is my notebook or laptop.

Bill Hammond, MENTAL PAUSE 1960 36' Connie CXA-36-184 H

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Brass Bell Content

Post by Don Ayers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Interested to know what parts of the Brass Bell the readers like the most and or least????

Help us think about ways to make the stuff you like even better and phase out the stuff you don't.

Thanks
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:58 pm

One tiny suggestion would be to place our BoatU.S. accord number somewhere easy to find in every issue rather than just once a year. I recently had to search through several issues to find it while renewing with them on line in order to receive the discount.

I think it may be interesting to have a Destinations article that may help some of us find places to enjoy our classic boats while on vacation or to take in a boat show or two along the way...
Al
Member - Executive Team

kwmpa

Post by kwmpa » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:29 pm

I agree with the destinations idea

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Sorry to ask but was the Spring or Summer Brass Bell ever mailed? Last issue I received was the Winter 2011. Gosh it is almost Winter again...
Pete
Past Project 1948 17' Deluxe
Past Project 1957 19' Capri
Future Project 1955 17' Special Sportsman

kwmpa

Post by kwmpa » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:41 pm

More feature boats in each issue...the car clubs I belong to all feature at least 5 different cars in every issue....those are the articles I read first in brass bell...if we had that and maybe some how to articles and some show coverage articles...I have 5 friends that were part of the club and they didn't renew because they said the magazine was a little to bland...the club didn't do shows and they wanted a more active club like some of the car clubs we belong to...look at the AACA how active of a club they are

Ken Miller

Post by Ken Miller » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:15 pm

I got the email that the next issue was about to snail mail, and haven't seen anything since. When I tried to download, the last issue I see online is Winter 2010?
1951 Chris Craft U-22-1705 "Miss Cynthia"

whamm511

Brass Bell

Post by whamm511 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:18 pm

I joined in July and haven't received any issues of the Brass Bell.

tunamease

No brass bell!!

Post by tunamease » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:11 am

I joined in july and also have not recieved the brass bell. Is there anyway to make sure i will recieve one? :cry:

kwmpa

Post by kwmpa » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:55 am

Think about it this way for people not renewing memberships....people tend to get fed up with not receiving the magazine on time....thats one of the biggest problems there's not really any club events for us to attend so other then the magazine and the forum what else is the club offering? Like I said before the club needs to get organized....up the membership amount or something and get back on track or we well keep loosing members....I said before I know 5 guys who quit the club because the magazine never showed up on time, there's no club events, the forum doesn't have tons of activity....so it's difficult to justify it to them....we need regional clubs like the ACBS we need our own shows like the ACBS and the brass bell needs to get out on time....like the new one needs to get mailed this week.....if we don't start doing these thing watch the membership is going to drop big time....people aren't going to pay money for things that are promised and not receive them

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:04 am

Everyone needs to hear what the memebership is saying here.... At this time we have Boat Buzz and that is it. I can't believe the people advertising are not getting feed up.
Past Project 1948 17' Deluxe
Past Project 1957 19' Capri
Future Project 1955 17' Special Sportsman

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Well.. We are the club.. The folks that comment and participate on the buzz are the most active.. If we want to hold events. Fine.. Do one.. I will say given a choice between acbs shows and this forum and amazing archive. I choose this.. Hands down.. We can all go to the acbs shows any time we want.. Intact have gatherings at one of them like we do at lake Dora.. But for a single brand club.. The tools of the archive and instant info on the buzz is well needed. I do agree that a yearly jamboree would be fun.. But we need someone and some place to do it.. Putting an event is not for the faint of heart.. It needs a local group to host it.. Anyone? As to the bell.. It's vetting tougher and tougher to print and mail a magazine. Look at all magazines.. But niche based magazines are doing very very well. The brass bell design is one of them.. But production time on it is a massive undertaking and bill has been doing it himself.. We need to make sure we support bill in his efforts and if we want more from the club. Step up and do it..
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:22 pm

I am with Matt!

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Matt, I don't think that any of these folks are complaining about what we have here on line. In fact they're probably grateful it's an available resource to ask about the Brass Bell, where it is and why we haven't seen it yet.

I tried to answer that question on another thread. In fact I'm sure that I did answer that question. In the process I recall including a plea for help. It's obvious to me that it must have fallen mostly on def ears. Otherwise by now, we would have seen the Spring 2011 Brass Bell or at least heard some encouraging words about it.

Regional rendezvous was a subject of discussion a few years ago but it hasn't been discussed at all lately, until now. It takes an organized group to promote and implement such large undertakings. We don't have that in this club nor a means to organize in a manner necessary to do such things.
Al
Member - Executive Team

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Observation:

One trouble with management, leadership, in any organization is "social incest". These folks have a long history with each other and have a very difficult time understanding the interests of the newbies and other "marginal" participants.

I am a one time "restorer" of a family "heirloom". I love this forum, it is beyond valuable to me.

I like the Brass Bell, particularly the pictures.

I have been disappointed in "boat shows".

Here is what they are like to this "outsider":

The hosts are all having a good time with their buddies. I have never been approached by the hosts. When I try to initiate a conversation I am treated politely, which is well short of eagerly, even though I express interest in being active in their group.

The only people who show any interest in my project are the vendors. I appreciate the time they spend with me.

In contrast is my experience with this forum. Several "senior" participants clearly reach out to make first timers welcome (Al Benton jumps to mind, and there are others).

I do not expect to ever be a Chris Craft guy in the way the leadership is. I think boats are for fishing and letting the younger family members play with. I think boat shows are pretty cool if they are within 50 miles of where I am on a day when there isn't a better offer.

I am now in danger of being tagged as a meandering jabberwok, so back to the point.

Whatever you do, think about the folks that are not like you. How do you find out what we value?
Hull # 16-R-OX2 (March 1946)
Engine 1B #26564

That's me 1950 - already a CC lover!

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:11 am

Like it or not, it seems clear that the Brass Bell (and timely delivery of same) is a very key component of the value proposition presented by a membership in this club. I like getting the magazine and reading it thoroughly. You think it takes a while to get now, try being up here in Canada - wow. I also love the archive and the Boat Buzz, so it is a "sum of parts" for me. I enjoy researching particular boats and other aspects of history.

I can say this - as newcomers to this hobby just a few years ago, the thing that attracted us the most was the friendly, engaging manner of almost all participants, not just the "leaders". That goes for both the ACBS and the CCABC, and there is some crossover, at least between the two. I still find that friendliness be the case today. I like the shows, the archive, the chat room - I like most things about the hobby in fact. But, I think that a "virtual" club has limitations. Most people, no matter what technology is there, also like first person engagement as a compliment to the virtual-only experience. I like using my boats and getting out with folks who also like to use theirs, it is not just about reading a screen or waiting on a magzine.
1926 Mullins 16' Outboard Special
1940 CC 19'Custom
1946 Gar Wood 22' 6" Sedan
1946 16' Peterbrough Falcon
1947 CC 16' Special Runabout
1947 Chris Craft 22' Sportsman
1948 CC 25' Sportsman Sedan
1959 Feather Craft Islander Express Cruiser
1961 CC 21' Continental
1965 Glastron Futura 500 V -164
1965 CC Sea Skiff 24'

Patrick

Looking for my Brass Bell

Post by Patrick » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi,
I joined the club in late July and have not yet recived a copy the Brass Bell.
I will continue to check the mail...any thoughts?
Thanks

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi Patrick, I'm confident that Bill Basler is working on this as we speak. Unfortunately, a new Brass Bell has not been published since your joining in July. The one that we are all waiting for is the Spring 2011 issue. We did get a Winter 2011 Brass Bell in late May or so.

You should have received Bill's E-Newsletter on August 2 that included a digital copy of the Spring 2011 Brass Bell. Did you see it? Let us know if you didn't.
Al
Member - Executive Team

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:23 am

For followup concerning the Brass Bell, please see: http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... hp?p=37350
Bill Basler