Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

stamps

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft history? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mcisaac inc

stamps

Post by mcisaac inc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:02 pm

:( it was my understanding the ccabc was having original letter punches made to correct 5/8" . the ones i received from sam wilson are 1/2".............mark

Last edited by mcisaac inc on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcisaac inc

Post by mcisaac inc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:24 pm

:D
Last edited by mcisaac inc on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:14 am

Mark, your stamps were shipped directly from Sam Wilson. I have not even had a chance to look at mine. Please forward yours back to me ASAP. If you read the fine print at how the various stamp manufacturers arrive at a size, some refer to the height of the letterform itself, while others include the letterform plus the shoulder. I have a feeling these are two small for this reason. Again I need to check mine against known original stampings.

I am intrigued with your sample though. Is this a pre war original numeral stamping, or is this a stamping made from an "old" stamp set or unknown origin? For example, there are several specific characteristics of the pre war stampings that are absolutely consistent in reviewing dozens of samples.

The numeral 4 typically has a baseline serif on it, as does the numeral 1. Also, the numeral 7 in your sample has an S curved downstoke, rather than a simple arched downstroke as on all the samples that I have studied. Also, I cannot tell in your photo, but many of the numerals in the hull stampings studied have ball terminations on their ends. The numeral 9 would be a good example of this. It appears that you nine is a single stroke weight stamp with no ball termination.

We studied dozens of original pre war samples to make this stamp set.

I am puzzled.

Please return your stamps to me. You had not been invoiced yet, so there is no follow up needed there.
Bill Basler

mcisaac inc

Post by mcisaac inc » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:52 am

:D a wwc member has an original set from cc. i have used them for 10 years. thought it would be nice to have my own. no need to study the originals stamps. 1/2" standard stamp is not correct.......mark

mcisaac inc

Post by mcisaac inc » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:16 pm

:D here are some more pics of originals i have. their are definetly variations with #1and 4, but the heights are all consistant.hope this helps............mark

steve bunda

an original example

Post by steve bunda » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:15 pm

This is an original example of the number stamping from a prewar chris craft in the boat shop. It is from a piece that trims out the upper dash board from a 21 foot utility hardtop. I have known the past 2 owners and am the first restorer to remove this trim piece. I did no sanding to the piece , only a little varnish to preserve history. steve

mcisaac inc

Post by mcisaac inc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:14 pm

:Dthe years posted are between 1934 and 1942. algonac plant must have had two different kinds of stamps............hmmmmm..............mark
Last edited by mcisaac inc on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcisaac inc

Post by mcisaac inc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:49 pm

:D just received a knew 17 barrel project in the shop, it was originally delivered to the canadian lakes area in michigan , where it has always been stored inside. the hull id. looks like it was stamped yesterday. the #8 v groove point to point is 9/16". outer edge to edge is 5/8"..................mark