Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Fuel tank hairline crack. Advice needed.

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Vogt, Al Benton, Don Ayers

Eric Anderton

Fuel tank hairline crack. Advice needed.

Post by Eric Anderton » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:13 pm

Hello.

I have a 1952 CC Holiday that apparently has developed a hairline crack where the filler tube attaches, please see photos. After a two day 600 mile trip on a trailer only about a tablespoon of fuel came out, just enough to wet about a 6 inch diameter on the top of the tank. I really would like to apply some JB Weld to this and see if it takes care of it. The only other alternative is to go the new tank route. I believe this is the original tank, it looks otherwise to be in good condition. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you, Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jim g

Re: Fuel tank hairline crack. Advice needed.

Post by jim g » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:50 pm

You can use JBWeld for a temporary repair. But you should get a new tank. A tablespoon of fuel will create enough vapors to explode if a spark is introduce.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm

If the tank is original, it is galvanized. Galvanized steel can be welded HOWEVER getting the tank purged of all explosive fumes before welding is a tough job. The tank would have to be removed, drained of all gas and filled with an inert gas like CO2 or dry nitrogen. Besides, you wouldn't want welding being performed inside a wood boat.

JB Weld might work for a while, but I'm thinking there's some stressing of the filler neck threaded fitting on the tank going on (normal movement of the boat when underway) that will just disturb the epoxy and you're back to the problem again. A leaking fuel tank in a boat is a very bad thing. Granted a new aluminum tank is $$$, but if you're going to remove the existing one for a try from a welder, maybe the extra investment to replace a 63 year old tank would be prudent. Unless you can see all throughout the inside of the tank, you really do not know how good it is in there. 63 years is a long time for a boat fuel tank.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Eric Anderton

Post by Eric Anderton » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Thank you... Okay, Its time for a new tank.... Is aluminium better than Stainless Steel? I had contacted Rayco about this, which material should I use? Unfortunately I'm in Pennsylvania where I cannot get gasoline locally without ethanol. Eric

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Rayco fabricated a 50 gallon aluminum fuel tank for my Lyman and the quality of the work was great. His welds were truly artwork, a shame to hide the tank behind the seats. Shipping to upstate NY wasn't that bad.

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:21 am

First: Another temporary repair material is Seal All. It works well on fuel tanks and should stay somewhat flexible, but I agree a new tank is in order.

Second: Though I have not had any trouble myself, I have heard that ethanol can give Aluminum tanks problems, it seems most new tanks in the North East are now being made of Stainless.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

homeiste

Post by homeiste » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:46 am

Eric,
Even after a new tank, I try to use ethanol-free gasoline. There are numerous places in PA that sell it. See if one is near you:
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=PA
1960 18' Continental
1970 Boston Whaler Sakonnet w/ Bearcat 55 outboard

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:37 am

There are still a lot of marinas and land based gas stations that sell ethanol free gas in many areas of NY State. It is available only in the 93 octane grade in and around major boating waters. I use the high octane anyway as most vintage engines were meant to run on at least 90 octane. 5 seasons of boating with the aluminum tank and no problems.

charlesquimby

Post by charlesquimby » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:00 am

Check with Atlantic Coastal Welding based in New Joisey. They did an excellent job on a 40 gallon for my APBA Hacker. In another life I was a welding inspector at a nuke plant, so I know what constitutes good work. They built to my specs. and are USCG endorsed. Good turnaround, too. CQ

drrot

Post by drrot » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:42 pm

Probably not a good idea to mess with a fuel tank with a defect. There is a lengthy thread on the buzz discussing the pro's and cons of aluminum vs. stainless steel tanks. worth a read.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

Jim Godlewski

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:04 am

Don Vogt wrote:Probably not a good idea to mess with a fuel tank with a defect. There is a lengthy thread on the buzz discussing the pro's and cons of aluminum vs. stainless steel tanks. worth a read.
Don,
Was this thread in the hardware & rigging forum? I'm trying to locate it.
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152
https://1956chriscraftsportsman.shutterfly.com/

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:20 pm

if you type in stainless steel gas tank under search at the top, a number of topics come up. I think the main one i was thinking about was "gas tank help" but you might peruse the others listed too. it has been a few years so i am not sure which one contains the most extensive discussion. sort of like a number of discussions here, like pro and con of self bailer, 5200 bottom vs. epoxy, etc. there are those "fer" and those "again" on a lot of these topics. I went with stainless for several reasons, but primarily because that was what was originally there and i wanted mine as original as possible. good luck!
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"