Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Posted from Archive, Message by Bobby Stone: Porthole Trim

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Club Archivist
Site Admin

Posted from Archive, Message by Bobby Stone: Porthole Trim

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:04 am

Where can I get a replacement piece of the trip that goes around the oval portholes on my 58 connie? I thought it was one piece, but actually there's a seperate straight piece of trim that fell off while I was trying to repair it!

Bobby Stone
ATOMIC FILMS
www.atomicfilms.com
Posted by Club Archivist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This topic was reposted from Memberclicks archive

Club Archivist
Site Admin

Posted from Archive, Message by Randy Winkler: Porthole Trim

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:05 am

Hi All,
I also have a need for the trim you mention here. The original trim was chrome plated copper or brass. I have been looking for a source for this for some time now without success. I did find aluminum J-Trim awhile back, but decided to wait in hopes of finding a supplier for the original material. I need about 80 ft. of it for our cruiser (was used to surround side and aft windows as well as port lights). If anyone knows of a source or a more original solution than painting, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Randy Winkler
'49 33' CC DE Cruiser
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

Posted from Archive, Message by Steve Smith: Porthole Trim

Post by Club Archivist » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:07 am

I don't know of a source for this trim, but for those who do go with aluminum, there are two ways to make it durable.

Polish the outside to a nice gloss, just as chrome would be shiny. It won't look the same as chrome plating, but will be close. Have it hard anodized [this grows a layer of transparen aluminum oxide ceramic all over the metal, and protects it from atmospheric corrosion.] and sealed. The anodized aluminum on the backside can bedded with most commercially available sealants.

Second option, for those plating shops that can do it, is to have the aluminum chrome plated. You have to go to a metal finishing shop that knows what they are doing, and I think it would need chemical cleaning, a copper strike, then nickel and finally chromium plate. i had some things made when I was working in the aerospace industry about 25 years ago, and they were machined aluminum, gold plated. I think there were nickel and copper strikes under the gold plate.

Try metal finishing in the yellow pages of your phone book and ask if they can do chrome plate over aluminum.

Steve
Posted by Club Archivist