Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Rudder Stuffing Box 18Ft Sea Skiff

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

JohnsBonita

Rudder Stuffing Box 18Ft Sea Skiff

Post by JohnsBonita » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:56 pm

<t>I tried looking through the archives, couldn’t find exact info, anyone have instructions and packing size for repacking a rudder stuffing box on a 1961 18’ sea skiff? Also, how tight should the bolts be that hold the assembly? Thanks for the help!

JimF
Club Executive Team

Re: Rudder Stuffing Box 18Ft Sea Skiff

Post by JimF » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:28 am

I don't know exactly but since no one else has answered I will offer an opinion. The rudder log is pretty much the same as the shaft log. I would guess that it needs three lengths of 3/8" packing with each one cut so that it circles the rudder shaft with the ends butting snugly together. Be sure the ends of each layer are not near each other. Tighten down the packing nut so that you can feel friction against the shaft. You will have to remove the rudder for installation of the log. You tighten the locking nut against the packing nut after you have everything installed.

I assume the assembly is bolted with bolts coming up through the keel, probably 4 of them. Put caulking ( Boatlife, Sikaflex) under the heads of the bolts and more caulking inside under the log assembly. Use lock washers and nuts to tighten it down. How tight? Hard to say exactly without a torque wrench but I use a socket with an 8" handle and pull it tight. Some caulking should smoosh out from under the fitting.
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

JohnsBonita

Re: Rudder Stuffing Box 18Ft Sea Skiff

Post by JohnsBonita » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:14 am

Thanks for the help!