Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Need pattern for 38 CC deluxe runabout windshield

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mhaefele

Need pattern for 38 CC deluxe runabout windshield

Post by mhaefele » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:25 pm

This forum has been a great help in finding all the missing links in my restoration. Now I need a pattern for the '17 '38 CC Deluxe Runabout windshield. I have no windshield piece to copy and could use dimensions and/or a pattern to cut glass from. I could do it by trial and error, but a pattern would be the best. Any chance? Thanks
'38 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout 17'
'58 Century Raven 22'
'35 Old Town Canoe 16'
'65 Chestnut Canoe 16'

jim g

Re: Need pattern for 38 CC deluxe runabout windshield

Post by jim g » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:33 am

Any pattern you get will have to be modified to fit the curve of your deck and the angle that your outside windshield brackets sit when screwed gown.

Best thing to do is get some copies of the pictures of your boat model and some quarter inch plywood and make them. Also get some extra windshield moulding for the bottom and cut 6 to 8 two inch pieces to get your height right. As the correct wiedshield brackets are closed top so the glass does not stick out above the bracket like the post war ones. Thats how I did my 38 17' 20 years ago. I have done many since then the same way.

mhaefele

Post by mhaefele » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:25 am

Thanks for the tip. I thought I might have to wing it like that.
'38 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout 17'
'58 Century Raven 22'
'35 Old Town Canoe 16'
'65 Chestnut Canoe 16'

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:34 pm

I made new ones for mine based on the originals that came with my boat. if you dont resolve it before then, i can furnish a pattern in the spring. my boat is currently in winter storage at our summer place. Do you have the original deck and know the places for the windshield brackets? if not that is an important piece of this as pointed out above, and i can provide that as well. how about some pictures of your boat?

Of course i am biased, but imho, this model is a classic of mid 30's design, with a great line and wonderfully balanced proportions as to the front and aft decks and the cockpits, among other things.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"