Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Interlux PreKote Primer.......... Am I doing this right?

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

Interlux PreKote Primer.......... Am I doing this right?

Post by jbyers » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:24 pm

I put two coats of interlux sealer on my 58 cavalier (plywood) until it was glossy as instructed. Sanded it smooth with about 120 grit.

I put the first coat of grey Interlux PreKote Primer on today. It really didn't fill as well as I expected for the first coat. I can see the grain of the wood in most places and other imperfections. It says to sand with 120 before applying the second coat. My question is.......... Should I block sand it and try to get it as smooth as possible before the second coat, or should I just beat the high spots down with a rotary sander and go for the block sanding after I have built it up thicker? I know you are not supposed to sand with a rotary on the finish coats.

Also, since there are so may imperfections showing should I put the second coat on against the grain?

By the way I used a foam roller and went pretty thin with the first coat. I thought as much prep as I had done that the part would go relatively quickly but at this rate it may take several more coats of primer...........

joanroy

Re: Interlux PreKote Primer.......... Am I doing this right?

Post by joanroy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:15 pm

I guess it would depend on the level of fair and finish your going for. I know plywood won't take much sanding before you break through the top lamination. You may have to live with some imperfections in the finish unless you want to get into replacing the plywood. Can't see what it looks like, but I think I'd hand sand at this point and do a couple more primer coats and a couple finish coats. If you want imperfections to show less use flat or low luster finish paint. Happy Boating!

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks JR. I'm sure with all the patchwork I won't be able to achieve what I'd hoped for. I just hope to get it smooth enough that it will not show all of the grain and minimize the imperfections.
Last edited by jbyers on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:23 pm

What finish paint are you using? Brightside?

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Actually I am using some of the Pettit one part historical color series paints............

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:58 am

Your call,..Pettit is a good product. Polyurathane I expect. Personally, I like to use the same manufacturer when applying primer and finish coats. Roll and tip?

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:46 am

Haven't decided yet on the roll and tip. I have the equipment, but not the experience, to spray. I would kind of like to take a try at spraying...........

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:39 am

The primer has to be applied pretty thick so that it can soak in/settle into the voids. Even on our fiberglass boat it took 2-3 coats to fair out scuffs and uneven glasswork...

I agree with others, sticking with one manufacturer is generally a good idea. They formulate their top coat paints and primers to work together.

I was going to roll & tip our boat but I found that with carefully rolling I didn't need to tip it off. I just went for 8 coats of Brightside polyurethane and that gave me the build up to cut and buff it to a stunning shine! Although, if you can spray (avoiding runs) that will give you the best base to polish from.

Good luck!
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:27 am

Thanks Brian. Glad I bought more primer.