Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Removing Numbers

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Centuryjack

Removing Numbers

Post by Centuryjack » Tue May 08, 2007 5:49 am

I'm doing a touch-up on a U-22. Original plan is to scuff up the existing varnish which is in good condition - probably only 3-4 years old,and adding two coats of new varnish. This boat is now registered in Wisconsin but came with Ontario Registration numbers on the hull. The numbers have to come off. The numbers are white with a dark green outline which matches the interior and appear to have been stuck on 1 or 2 coats under the last finish coats. Using a razor blade I was able to remove the white completely. I am left with the dark green outline and the gummy adhesive originally used to affix the numbers. Because of the curvature of the hull at this part of the boat, I'm leery of sanding too hard and going through the topcoat and into the stain. I've tried rubbing with laquer thinner, but that doesn't seem to move anything. This is a pretty visable part of the hull and I'm concerned about burning into the stain with a chemical or sandpaper. Is there a product out there that might remove the adhesive and numbers without chemically altering the varnish base?

farupp

Post by farupp » Tue May 08, 2007 6:42 am

Try Goo Gone. It's made to remove adhesive numbers. You can buy it at a marine supply store such as West Marine.
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue May 08, 2007 10:24 am

Goo Gone works well. I've used WD40 to get the adhesive off too. If the green stuff is under the varnish you may need to carefully sand (220 on the end of your finger) it away to get to the green. If it's paint or thin decal material it may require sanding it off in order not to get into the stain/filler.

Al