Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

First varnish project (new flag pole) how to for a newbie?

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

L76

First varnish project (new flag pole) how to for a newbie?

Post by L76 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:00 pm

Well… the Lakeness Monster ate my flag pole. Got a new one. Raw mahogany. Gonna use this as an opportunity to learn how to do finish work on the boat. This will be my first “varnish project”… before I refinish boat (on my own) during the winter :roll:

Anyone got a good video/detailed process they can share for staining/varnishing raw wood? In my case… I’m going to try to match the flag pole stain/color/finish to the deck (boat was finished with Epifanes High Gloss Clear Varnish, and stained portion Interlux Y573 Red Mahogany).

Cheers,
L76
1948 Chris-Craft Deluxe Runabout
Spends her time in Tahoe

maritimeclassics

Re: First varnish project (new flag pole) how to for a newbie?

Post by maritimeclassics » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:45 am

Here is a video I made of the Cobra we stained. I do have another video out about staining on youtube so you may want to check that out. We are doing a video on varnishing so you may want to subscribe and check that out. Hope this helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLJxi6HcKnA&t=7s
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

roustabout2023

Re: First varnish project (new flag pole) how to for a newbie?

Post by roustabout2023 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:01 pm

So I have a question to tack on… the former owner of our Chris Craft painted the interior. I spent the winter stripping doors and drawers to raw wood and have just stained the first set only to discover that the stain is really orange in two and a reasonably correct Chris Craft Red on the other two. Not sure what to do to get them to a reasonable match. If I sand again I fear creating more problems for myself. It also makes me nervous as I move forward to the rest of them. Also, what’s the favored interior varnish. I’ve heard spar varnish recommended but don’t know if that’s interior, exterior or both. Our cruiser is in salt water year round in a boat shed