Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Trailered hull bottom paint

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

trebot

Trailered hull bottom paint

Post by trebot » Fri May 01, 2020 7:15 pm

My '56 Continental is trailered and used regularly. Are there any paint that will resist paint scuffing from loading/unloading?
I used Indoor/outdoor carpet from LOWES on the bunks. Should I use "marine grade" carpet available through marine supply stores to reduce scuffing? Thanks

mbigpops

Re: Trailered hull bottom paint

Post by mbigpops » Sat May 02, 2020 6:44 pm

The strategy to eliminate scuffing is to avoid dragging the boat up to the bow stop while any of it resting on the bunks. You want to float on and attach to the bow stop and then slowly pull out making sure the boat lines up on the trailer.

If marine carpet is waterproof and dries fast then that is what you want.

I used Kirby enamel bottom paint and after 5 years of trailering have no scuffs on my bottom.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Mon May 04, 2020 7:05 am

If you have a keel support board on the trailer up towards the bow, the use of teflon strips on the carpet dramatically eases the friction of sliding the hull across the bunk. There are strips available at marine supply or boat trailer places for this. I use these on the bow keel support on my 25 foot Lyman and it slides without scraping off the bottom paint.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon May 04, 2020 8:19 am

What kind of bottom paint are you using? If it is soft Anti-Fouling that is part of the problem. The other issue would be how you load it. You want the boat all the way forward and touching the bow stop while floating. If you are dragging it on the bunks back the trailer in a bit deeper.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174