Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Different varnishes on same boat?

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

JacobErdey

Different varnishes on same boat?

Post by JacobErdey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:36 am

Hey guys, I'm sure someone has done this before, just curious of any red flags that may make me steer clear. Basically I've done 6 coats of Captains 1015 on my boat, and have ordered more that hasn't come in yet, and I want to do two more coats this weekend. I have some Epifanes in my shop that I've used on some other boat rails and things, and I like the way it lays out as well, but have been using Captains on my CC for the amber hue it gives. But I was thinking of just throwing two coats of the Epifanes on it this weekend while I wait for the other to arrive, then finish the last 10-12 coats with Captains as planned. I imagine all varnishes bond to one another just fine with sanding between each coat. But is there any reason I should not use the Epifanes this weekend then go right back to the Captains for the rest?
Current Project: 1950 Chris Craft Sportsman 18'

jfrprops

Re: Different varnishes on same boat?

Post by jfrprops » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Well I have experience with both, prefer Epifanes, but I don't see that mixing two such similar finish products should matter....if you plan to do two coats of Epi over a weekend....I would not sand much at all between.....get the chemical bond....you had best wait for some of the trailer queen crew to check in on this....John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:46 am

Since it is now Monday and you were planning on doing this over the weekend I am more curious how / what you did?

The two products "SHOULD" work fine together, however I have always been told that if you are happy with the results that you are getting why change things. :wink:

Keep us posted.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

JacobErdey

Post by JacobErdey » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:30 pm

I only ended up doing one coat of Epifanes over my previously scuffed base of 6 coats Captains Saturday. The weather was not cooperating with me Sunday to do a second round. But all signs point to the adhesion and cure of the Epifanes do be progressing just fine as you'd expect. Nothing strange presenting itself yet. Will be scuffing and continuing on with another coat of Captain's Wednesday. If any problems arise I'll let you guys know
Current Project: 1950 Chris Craft Sportsman 18'

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:38 am

There is an adhesion test, albeit a somewhat destructive one you could try after the top coats have dried. You score a cross hatch, sort of like a tic-tac-toe game on the finish down onto the lower layer and place some sticky tape over it. Do not use a finish sensitive type of painters tape. When you lift off the tape do the layers come up with the tape? Gives a general indication if adhesion will be a problem. Not something you want to do on those beautifully finished decks, but maybe an out of site area exists you could try it.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"