Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Paint inner hull sides?

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

JacobErdey

Paint inner hull sides?

Post by JacobErdey » Wed May 01, 2019 3:34 pm

I am about to paint my bilge with Sandusky mahogany bilge paint, and was wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't just go ahead and paint all of the interior (everything that will be covered with the ceilings and seats, etc) all the way up to the under sides of the gunnels? I can't imagine it would cause any problems, but that's why I'm here. Thanks guys
Current Project: 1950 Chris Craft Sportsman 18'

Bilge Rat

Re: Paint inner hull sides?

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu May 02, 2019 6:20 am

Personally, I think all accessible surfaces in a wood boat should be sealed with a coating. Whether that's paint, varnish or a sealer, a coating is needed to help prevent moisture incursion. Moisture from the back side will work its way to the top side surfaces and cause problems.

You can look at it this way...you are taking a finely finished piece of furniture and putting it in the lake, subjecting it to vibrations and stresses from wind, waves and a reciprocating engine. It needs to be sealed as best as possible but remain somewhat flexible.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"