Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Adding oil filter to a K

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SteveH

Adding oil filter to a K

Post by SteveH » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:51 am

Hello all,

Looking for opinions/views on adding a remote oil filter to my K. I currently run straight 30 Non-Detergent. I have always wanted to try the Brad Penn oil after reading the many positive reviews here. But, I understand that it is detergent?

I don't know the history of my engine, but a previous surveyor's report alluded to signs of a rebuild??? Other than nice paint, not sure what that means for my engine. From my understanding, the issue of going to detergent with an engine that has not been rebuilt is stirring up sludge and putting it in suspension. Are there any ways short of tearing things down that I could get some indication of how sludgy I might be? For example, when I first removed my transmission top plate, the inside was very clean, but I can't of course see inside the drum. My oil after 15-20 hours of use this year is surprisingly clean (maybe because of the ND?). Any other checks? Can I see it in the pan - feel it - is it like a layer of thick junk that stays relatively undisturbed?

So, for an engine with an unknown history, could I move to a more modern detergent oil if I added an oil filter?

Thanks, Steve

1959 22' Sea Skiff (2263)
16 ft. Oughtred Penny Fee
17 ft. Devlin Oarling

cc-woodboats

Re: Adding oil filter to a K

Post by cc-woodboats » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:58 am

I would pull the access cover on the oil pan,after draining the oil and see if there is a buildup of sludge and gunk in the oil pan.
if it looks clean then add the filter and the Brad Penn oil.
the filter should pick up any dirt that gets flushed out by the detergent oil.
might want to change oil and filter after 10 hours to see how much dirt it has collected.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks CC. Any recommendations on filters - do they have flow rates, microns, etc? Realize that I don't know much about the specifics of filters as I would just go and grab the one specified for the engine I was working on.

Steve

1959 22' Sea Skiff (2263)
16 ft. Oughtred Penny Fee
17 ft. Devlin Oarling

cc-woodboats

Post by cc-woodboats » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:25 am

Steve,
Most of the remoter filters I have used use a ford/chrysler filter number.
Summit Racing has the filter housings and 1/2 oil line you will need.
NAPA should have all the fittings to hook it up.They can probably get the filter housing and hose also.

Ed Andrews

Post by Ed Andrews » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:30 pm

Have you looked at the remote filters from Northwood boat works? They have reproduction filters, which will keep your K original while filtering the oil.

http://www.northwoodboatworks.com/reproduction-parts/52
1951 Chris Craft Holiday
1952 12' Kit Boat w/Johnson 15HP engine

1953 Chris Craft Commander 10HP Outboard

Tightline5

Post by Tightline5 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:18 pm

I did away with my whole oil cooler and filter on my 1958 354 Big Block Dual Quad Hemi opting for a remote system. Had my friend who owns a machine shop fab the correct conversion plate and used a Napa remote setup with a Napa Gold filter. You don't need an oil cooler on these motors with modern day oils as they are made to run optimum at temperature. Even without the cooler, my Hemi oil now runs at 172 degrees, with no effects on the trans, clutch plates. (per a temp gun)

Back in the day these motors ran on oil that contained paraffin as a lubricant, and if the oil became "hot" the paraffin would foam. This is not the case with today's oils. I have approximately 40 hours on my new setup and constantly performed temp checks on many areas. So far all is well, and she seems to be running alittle better and quiter meaning she is not working as hard.
Phil Jones

1948 US Plywood Executive Runabout Hull #1 "WeldWood"
1954 Racing Runabout R-496
1957 Deluxe Runabout D-17-2062
"MISBEHAVIN"

Tightline5

Post by Tightline5 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Also all top quality filters such as Napa have a built in bypass just in case some sludge were to be in there and break lose and clog.
Phil Jones

"MISBEHAVIN"

jim g

Post by jim g » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:03 pm

Tightline5 wrote:Also all top quality filters such as Napa have a built in bypass just in case some sludge were to be in there and break lose and clog.
Not all of them do. So you better make sure yours does. If your using a filter for a chevy then I know it doesn't. Just don't ask me how much it cost to find that out.

Tightline5

Post by Tightline5 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:44 pm

As I said in the post use a Napa Gold filter to be sure.
Phil Jones

"MISBEHAVIN"

jim g

Post by jim g » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Tightline5 wrote:As I said in the post use a Napa Gold filter to be sure.
Yes they were NAPA gold which are made by Wix and not all of them have a bypass valve.