Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Engine Builders/ Rebuilders

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

tuobanur

Engine Builders/ Rebuilders

Post by tuobanur » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:28 pm

I was asked to remove this post.
Last edited by tuobanur on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Terry
1941 Model 101 (16') Deluxe Runabout "Miss Dot"

evansjw44

Re: Engine Builders/ Rebuilders

Post by evansjw44 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:45 pm

There are good engine builders all over. They might be a bit hard to find but the local hot rod shops know who they are. Yes, there are differences in engines that are from the conversion process. Find a builder that knows these. Some marinas know who these people are. You can expect a wait in line for a good builder. They are worth the wait. Check out the machine shop. Do they competent machinist and equipment.

I have a favorite here in the Detroit area. There has to be one in SC based on the NASCAR connection.
Jim Evans

tuobanur

Post by tuobanur » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:02 pm

If I look hard enough I could probably find one here in my area but I was told that this guy was the man.
Its funny, when we first talked we had no problem communicating, not so now.
Last edited by tuobanur on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:46 pm

This thread is useless now and should be deleted.
Last edited by mbigpops on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:15 am

Sorry to hear of your situation. Having been in the Marine repair business for several years and fully understand your pain. I always told my Service Manager that non communication with your customer is why they get angry with our services. Any of us can handle adversity but not knowing what is happening with our job is very frustrating. I have to ask, what was your motivation for sending your engine far away? Cost? Did the person referring you knowledgeable? Had they had work done themselves? Personally, I would be all over this person for accountability. Good luck.

tuobanur

Post by tuobanur » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:44 am

He came highly recommended from two sources who had work done, I also spoke with him several times before sending it and could tell that he knew what he was doing with these old flatheads.
Terry

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:15 pm

Unfortunately due to the shortage of highly skilled tradesmen these days and very few young folks interested in making a living with their hands, it's become increasingly difficult to supply the demand. If your guy is highly recommended and an expert at restoring and working on antique engines he's a rare commodity. I'm sure he has tons of work. It's probably just a case of getting to your project. Still, it would be nice if he gave you a call and let you know where your at on the list. Hope it all works out in the end.

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:18 pm

joanroy wrote:Unfortunately due to the shortage of highly skilled tradesmen these days and very few young folks interested in making a living with their hands, it's become increasingly difficult to supply the demand. If your guy is highly recommended and an expert at restoring and working on antique engines he's a rare commodity. I'm sure he has tons of work. It's probably just a case of getting to your project. Still, it would be nice if he gave you a call and let you know where your at on the list. Hope it all works out in the end.
You got that right about finding employees! I have been extremely lucky in finding 4 very capable and hard working young apprentices. I treat them like gold because they are rare and worth it!
Tom
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

tuobanur

Post by tuobanur » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:06 am

Follow up: It is a shame that such extreme measures have to be taken some times to get a point across but I have to say that my mechanic finally contacted me with an apology and a solution to my engine problems. I will also say that he is definitely one of the top mechanics in his field but needs some work on his communication skills. I hope that everyone involved has learned something from this and that it makes us a better ambassador of this sport.
Terry

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:10 pm

Good to hear. :D