Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Brass Drive Shaft

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

NOT Firewood

Brass Drive Shaft

Post by NOT Firewood » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:08 pm

The question I have is... why did they make the drive shaft for my 1961 Sea Skiff out of Brass and not stainless steel? If I am to replace this shaft is the perfered stock metal to use?

Greg Wallace

Re: Brass Drive Shaft

Post by Greg Wallace » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:48 am

Your original shaft was made of bronze like the rest of the under water gear and as such was resistant to galvanic corrosion.

I suspect that cost and the availability of the ideal stainless alloy may have been a factor at the time.

I believe that stainless is close to bronze on the galvanic scale and escalates the corrosion factor only slightly and can be controlled by "Zincs"

Stainless is stronger, will wear less at the strut bearing, will deflect less and resists deformation from impact.

In our experience this is a mixed blessing as shafts are easier to replace and straighten than struts.

Stainless is the current preferred material for prop shafts and I think you may have some trouble even finding bronze.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

charlesquimby

Re: Brass Drive Shaft

Post by charlesquimby » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:08 am

Aquamet A-22. Looks like stainless, but is alloyed with nickle. Very strong, and will hold up better than stainless. CQ