Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

What kind of Prop Nut??

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

njanous

What kind of Prop Nut??

Post by njanous » Thu May 24, 2012 10:13 am

Hello all -

I need to buy a prop nut for my restoration project and in doing research, I see there are three main types of nut setups available - Jam nut (2 nuts of different size) with pin, Castle nut with pin, and a nylon lock-nut with pin. Looks like most modern inboard boats use the nylon lock nuts but in the interest of keeping my boat as original as possible, did Chris Craft use castle nuts or the Jam nut method out of the factory? I cannot seem to find information on which is more original.

Does anyone have an opinion on which, out of the three they would recommend and why? All and any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Nick

farupp

Post by farupp » Thu May 24, 2012 11:26 am

Nick, my 1949 Special Runabout, 1949 27 foot cruiser and my 1959 Sea Skiff all had/have a castle nut secured with a cotter pin. I feel the castle nut/cotter pin is the best set-up.

What ever you decide make sure the prop is really tight on the shaft. I have seen the prop loosen up after they are used for a short time and the nut ends up being loose, too. At least with the cotter pin it can't unscrew.

Frank
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

njanous

Post by njanous » Wed May 30, 2012 7:35 am

Thanks Frank. Appreciate the advice.

gbraker

Post by gbraker » Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 am

Be sure to use a bronze pin, anything else will rust away, way worse in salt water. Should be same metal as the prop. Maybe good stainless would be OK.

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed May 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Chris Craft used the castle nut style. The prop place I use that has been in business over 100 years actually calls the castle nut style the Chris Craft style nut system.