Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Runabout with Chris-O -Matic

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

chriscraftrick

Runabout with Chris-O -Matic

Post by chriscraftrick » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Can anyone help me on the rebuilding of a Chris-O- Matic for runabouts. I understand they came out in 1953 and would like to rebuild mine over the winter, I need manuals and information on where I can get a rebuild kit or the parts for such. It probably needs a selenoid, seals, and gears. I have not taken the unit out yet. I pulled this info up from the Archives. I have a "54' Riviera. This option is on my Hull Card Thanks!!!!

(NEW automatic shifting available exclusively for Chris-Craft Marine Engines
CHRIS-O-MATIC Electric-Hydraulic Clutch Control
CHRIS-CRAFT'S exclusive, new Chris-O-Matic for effortless, automatic shifting is
now available for all Chris-Craft Marine Engines (except Model B, 60 h.p.) and all
Chris-Craft Motor Boats and Motor Yachts (except those with Chris-Craft 60 h.p.
and Diesel engines). New Chris-O-Matic gives you fingertip control; quiet, splitsecond
operation; positive neutral with no creeping when clutch is disengaged;
proved dependability in thousands of automotive, aircraft and industrial applications.
Enjoy this exclusive, new Chris-Craft feature now by ordering your new
Chris-Craft with Chris-O-Matic or by easily installing Chris-O-Matic in your
present Chris-Craft-powered boat.
CHRIS-CRAFT CORPORATION
ALGONAC, MICHIGAN
WORLD'S LARGEST BUILDERS OF MOTOR BOATS
15)

Captain Nemo

Chris-O-Matic

Post by Captain Nemo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi, I did some browsing on some of my familiar sources and didn't find anything on the Chris-O-Matics. Would have to call around directly but I'm pretty sure parts might be available for these.
That being said, growing up in my father's marina in the 60's and 70's I can say my father refitted more than one boat to manual controls because of the Chris-O-Matic's notorious unpredictability. The moniker Crash-O-Matic isn't unwarranted. Even when these were new they didn't work well. If you feel for the sake of keeping your boat original, rebuild the unit and buy a set of really big fenders :shock: . Good luck.
-Mark
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

54 Conqueror

Post by 54 Conqueror » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:05 pm

I don't have any issues with my C-O-M, ubt that's all I have any experience with.

I'll check my box-o-stuff to see if I have any manuals.

drrot

Post by drrot » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:39 am

Try http://www.hydroe.com/ Their main business is rebuilding convertible top motors and cylinders for old cars. Crash-O-Matics are basically the same

chriscraftrick

Post by chriscraftrick » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks for the information so far. I did contact Hydro Electric and they only have a motor pump. I was hoping to get a manual so I could get some idea on what I need and how it operates. I have also contacted the Mariner's Museum. They have not located any info yet. Does anyone have a manual from a cruiser?

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:14 pm

Have you tried Van Ness?

I have talked with him a number of times on this subject and he has the ability to rebuild these and or make them better.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

clarks

chris o matic

Post by clarks » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:04 pm

I had 2 in a 28ft 1956 and rebuilt both and had nothing but problems. They worked half the time, one would the other would not. I fixed the problem, SOLD the boat. I have a 21 capri with a COM and when I get to it I will change it over.

dalesparrow

Post by dalesparrow » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:37 pm

RE. chris-o-matic shift controle. I own a 1957 38' corsair(the GRATITUDE hull#cr38504) with chis-o-matic shifters and have gone many rounds with this system. I must admit that I almost gave up on them more than once. Lucky for the chris-o-matics I am extremly stuborn and was very determined to keep the GRATITUDE drivetrain origanal. My first few rounds included using hydro-electric convertable top pumps in place of origanal pumps,I found these pumps to be tempermental and not of high enough quality to endure the marine enviroment. These pumps sometimes would stick when the engine room was vey hot(90 degrees+ outside).After disecting the top pumps I found the brushes to be very small and would jump out of there holders, I also found the internal wiring to be of very light gauge. After playing with these pumps for two years I gave up and decided to rebuild the origanal pumps.This decision would prove to be futile.There were several problems with the old pumps some I could not repair,one being the rotor shaft full of pitting and allowing fluid to seep by and fill electric motor end of the pump,two being the commuter worn beond repair.I found myself pulling these pumps twice a summer to keep them working.This was getting old fast.I decided there had to be a better pump somewhere and started looking.After several months of looking I found the pump I was looking for.While the pump I found is still a convertable top pump it is a much higher quality unit.Heavy gauge wire, large brushes and a five year warranty.I installed these pumps and have had zero trouble with them.While they do not look exactly like the origanal pumps they work flawlesly, on top of that my shift time went from 4.5 seconds to 2.5 seconds(full reverse to full forward and visa versa).I have also installed new solinoids,shift cylinders,wiring and rotor buttons inside shift levers( rotor buttons had to be fabricated at local machine shop).After all of my efforts I finally have chris-o-matics that work without incident and I dock with confidence.Because these systems have many electrical connections I highly recomend yearly maintenance i.e. checking all connections for corrosion and changing fluid.I have read many articals that claim chris-o-matics where troublesome right from the start but have decided that this was probably due to lack of maintenance and operator inexperiance.If you would like to keep your chris craft origanal and have your chris-o-matics working like new I would love to help you,feel free to call me. 207-756-4469. Dale Sparrow, a classic chris craft lover forever and always.

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:43 pm

I have Crash- O- Matics on my boat and they actually work halfway decently. But you still loose the ability to "jog" the transmission for short jags. With at least the stock C-O-M's, you are either all in or all out. And between two of them on a twin engine boat, they probably won't engage at the same time making even backing out of the slip often a sideways affair.

I hope to someday change my boat over to the manual controls, and I have been collecting parts working toward that goal, most of them original Chris Craft parts and pieces.

It's cool to hear that somebody has found some good, reliable parts for the C-O-M's. They are an interesting part of Chris Craft history.

I have a friend in our ACBS chapter that has newer 350 Q's in his 1953 Commander and has his original C-O-M shift levers hooked up to Velvet Drive transmissions. When you are at the helm you can't tell that the boat doesn't have it's original C-O-M shifting system.
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project