Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Foam in oil

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Warren

Foam in oil

Post by Warren » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:40 pm

SBC 283 not rebuilt but cleaned up new gaskets fresh oil. Upon startup ran great. Turned off checked oil level and noticed foam or bubbles on dip stick. Let sit about 45 minuets checked oil again with dip stick and oil was clean no bubbles or foam. Started up again ran for 5 minutes turned off checked oil and again foam or bubbles on dip stick. Any ideas?
Warren

Bilge Rat

Re: Foam in oil

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:24 am

Hopefully you're not seeing water in the oil. That would appear as looking like a chocolate milkshake. You might want to pull a valve cover and look at the condition of the oil that remains there, if water is present in the oil, it gets a thorough "mixing" in the valve rocker areas.

What oil are you using? Is the engine oil also shared with the transmission or is it a hydraulic transmission? Are you certain that it's not overfilled? Too much oil can get whipped up by the crankshaft and appear "foamy". How's the oil pressure? Does the oil now have a gasoline smell to it?
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:24 pm

Another thought; is the engine in the boat when you're running or is it on an engine stand? If the engine is not at the correct angle, the dipstick level will be wrong and it would be overfilled.

Warren

Post by Warren » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:21 pm

Well I think I know what the problem is. I took off the pan and discovered I hadn’t tightened the oil pickup tube where it connects to the pickup filter. This would allow air to suck when oil is below fitting causing oil to foam. I’ve tightened fitting and will restart the motor in a few days and see if this solves the foam problem.
Thanks for your suggestions to my issue. - Warren

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:26 am

Good luck.