Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Vapor Lock Issues

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Nauti-Chris

Vapor Lock Issues

Post by Nauti-Chris » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:32 pm

Hello Everyone, I have a 1955 CC Sportsman with a Model K engine. Engine is recently rebuilt and the gas tank was cleaned and re-lined at the same time. The last two trips to the lake I have had issues with the engine cutting out after being out for a couple of hours, lift the engine cover, wait 10-15 minutes and it fires back up. Yesterday while on the lake the engine started and ran great for first 20-30 minutes and then started to sputter and cut off as if it was being starved of fuel. Same thing waited a while with engine cover up and restarted but struggled to get home sputtering all the way. At the dock, spent some time letting everything cool down and again started right up. Everyone I have talked to and I also agree is that I am having vapor lock issues. I am located in AZ and the temperature was in the upper 90’s. My questions is - What remedies does anyone have for vapor lock? I have two ideas, adding additional vents to the engine cover, and insulating the copper fuel line with HeatShield Products Hot Rod Sleeve. Given that the AZ Summer will get even hotter I need suggestions on how to keep fuel line cool so I can stay running on the lake. Thanks for the suggestions and input.

Captain Nemo

Re: Vapor Lock Issues

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:16 pm

Did you rule out the coil? They can fail when hot and start back up when cooled back down.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Ditto
Captain Nemo wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:16 pm
Did you rule out the coil? They can fail when hot and start back up when cooled back down.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

Nauti-Chris

Post by Nauti-Chris » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:42 pm

No I haven’t. Thanks for the tip I will check out the coil.