Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Old original K motor start up

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Woodfam10

Old original K motor start up

Post by Woodfam10 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:39 pm

New owner starting up motor, needs advice on what to look for before that day comes.

Captain Nemo

Re: Old original K motor start up

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:08 am

Welcome to the Boat Buzz.
First I assume the K turns free. You can begin by doing a compression test to rule out any problems like stuck valves, which these are notorious for if they have sat for extended periods without being turned over. If that goes well I would still spray the cylinders with some fogging oil, turn it over some and let her sit for a few days before start
When starting up on land, hook a section of hose from the pump intake into a 5gal bucket and keep the bucket filled with the garden hose. You don’t want to pressurize the cooling system beyond what the pump does. If you have a bronze gear pump you might want to give the grease cups a turn to push grease into it beforehand.
If she ran before and was laid up properly I would bet she will run. There isn’t a lot that will make these not run. The K motor is glorious in its simplicity. Good luck and keep us posted, and we like to see pictures of your project :D.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:14 am

I would just add to that these engines use flat valve tappets (lifters) and modern oils no longer have the ZDDP additive to keep these high pressure parts adequately lubricated. You of course have no idea if the previous owner knew that or maintained it properly, but for future oil changes, you can buy ZDDP additive and add that to SAE 30 oil.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:57 am

Good point, also stay away from any synthetic oils too. The reverse gear will not work because they are too slick.

Woodfam10

Post by Woodfam10 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:02 pm

Thank you for the expert advice. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, e-mail/password issues. Question (many more to come) is there a manual which tells you what every part on the motor is? Also, how do you tell if its standard rotation or reverse?

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:23 am

I see www.classiboatconnection.com has user manuals for Chris Craft engines.
The rotations are referred to as right hand or opposite. Right hand engines were used for single screw applications, meaning turning clockwise as viewed from the aft end. In twin screws the opposite rotation was installed on the port side. On the engine tag, it will tell you if it is a K or (KO for opposite rotation).

Woodfam10

Post by Woodfam10 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:15 pm

Thank you