Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Changes in Oil Pressure

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Nauti-Chris

Changes in Oil Pressure

Post by Nauti-Chris » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:10 pm

I have a newly rebuilt Model K that I am currently putting through the break-in process. I woulds estimate I am 5 hours or less into breaking in this motor. Yesterday when I was out on the lake I noticed as the engine came up to temperature that the oil pressure would drop. It started at 30 and then dropped and fluctuated between 15-20. I use Penn-Grade SAE 30 oil. Everything else seems to be working properly. Is this a product of the breaking in process? Should I change the oil to see if that makes a difference? Any thoughts or suggestions?

mbigpops

Re: Changes in Oil Pressure

Post by mbigpops » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:22 pm

Try adding more oil - a little at a time until it holds full pressure and stops dropping. You are probably right on the edge of the correct level.
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:30 am

Agree with adding a little more oil and check the pressure. Your pressure gauge could also be inaccurate and only attaching a test gauge to the engine oil galley port would tell. There is a pump pressure adjustment inside the crankcase behind the side cover. You would have to drain (suck) the oil level down before removing the plate. The adjustment bolt should be visible and as I recall, there is a lock nut to keep the setting locked. I forget which way to turn the bolt to increase pressure, but someone here should chime in with that.

Is your boat fitted with a temperature gauge?
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

L76

Post by L76 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:41 pm

Hi Bilge Rat,

I am seeing high oil pressure (70psi at cruise, 30psi at idle). I’m new to this KFL motor… thought I’d first test to see if my gauge is accurate then adjust the pump pressure via the adjuster you mentioned. Thoughts? Anyone know where’s the best place to plug in my external gauge? Where exactly is the oil pump adjuster bolt?

Cheers,
L76
1948 Chris-Craft Deluxe Runabout
Spends her time in Tahoe