Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Navigation / Anchor Switch Wiring

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Tom Gruenauer

Navigation / Anchor Switch Wiring

Post by Tom Gruenauer » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:53 am

How do you wire the switches for separate navigation and anchor lights.
See photo.
Thanks Tom
Attachments
PA090004.jpg

mbigpops

Re: Navigation / Anchor Switch Wiring

Post by mbigpops » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:53 pm

I have not done this but if I understand this your bow and stern lights are both on for navigation and only the stern light for anchor.

If this is correct then run the switched side of the navigation switch to both fore and aft lights. Then wire the switched side of the anchor switch to just the aft lights.

You will end up with two wires on the aft lights.

Each switch will send power to the correct lights when closed.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Denis D

Post by Denis D » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:28 pm

Tom, I believe you will need to isolate the wires going to the nav light and the stern light so there isn't a back circuit between them. This would require a double pole double throw switch for the Anchor light along with a couple of jumper wires by the switches. The attached image shows both switches in the off position so you will end up with one wire going to each light and 2 jumpers by the switches.
Good luck
Denis

1948 17' deluxe runabout

Denis D

Post by Denis D » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:44 pm

Here's the image.
small.jpg
Denis

1948 17' deluxe runabout

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:17 pm

Well yes if you turned both the Navigation and Anchor switches on you would double feed the Anchor light but who would do that in an either or scenario ?

Also in your diagram you wrote "Up is off for both switches" but that is not how you drew the Anchor switch. Up is on in your diagram.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Denis D

Post by Denis D » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:03 pm

Hey Mark, Sorry for any confusion, I drew the schematic quickly. The drawing actually shows the switches in the off position, the line between the 2 anchor light switch poles is not an electrical connection but is an arrow meant to show they are both part of the same Anchor switch. The only way the common contact of the lower pole is powered is when the Nav switch is on.

My concern was the circuits to the 2 lights have to be electrically isolated so that a second circuit to the anchor light wouldn't back feed through the wire to the Nav switch and then forward to the Nav light so you would still have both lights on.

Your post prompted a rethink to a simpler solution to use the double pole double throw switch for the Nav lights as per the drawing.

Just trying to be helpful here but I could be all wet. :)

Cheers,
Denis
IMG_0181 wiring small.jpg
Denis

1948 17' deluxe runabout

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 am

If you do not have a DPST switch (you have only 2 terminals instead of 4 on your switch) for the navigation switch, you can use an inexpensive diode and SPST switches. This is what I did on my Lyman as we overnight on it and per the regulations, we have an all-around anchor light on all night when at anchor. The navigation red/green lights are not to be on when at anchor at night.
Attachments
Anchor Light Diode.jpg
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"