Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Overcharging

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SAMBA

Overcharging

Post by SAMBA » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:09 am

5 years ago I changed the electrical from 6V to 12V on my 1953 Sedan cabin cruiser. My generators were re-wired for the new voltage. On my maiden run one engine did not charge at all and one overcharged. Went back to the dock, mechanic said he had "fried " the regulators and one was stuck fully on, and one was off. After getting the new parts, he did a very quick replacement and all was well till a few days ago. Post engine seems to be overcharging; while underway at 2000 rpm, voltmeter reads 17V on that side, starboard 13V. A mechanic is slated to look at it soon, but I'm assuming the regulator is malfunctioning? In some of my reading I've also come across a "cut-off switch". Obviously it's the height of the season (nothing ever breaks in late September). If he can't get to it or fix it, is there some way I can jury-rig it so I don't overcharge my battery? On the generator looks like I have a 2-wire system and the regulator looks a bit smaller than a pack of cards. Will removing one of the wires prevent the excess charging? By the way, we never run more than 4 or 5 hours without coming back to dock and I have a very good new "smart-charger" and am able to connect all three batteries (2 engine and the house battery) together with a switching system so I'm not too worried about running w/out charging that battery for a few hours.
Thanks so much, Dan

mbigpops

Re: Overcharging

Post by mbigpops » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:40 am

What do you have for engines ?

I am pretty sure that I remember being able to adjust the voltage internally in the generator by taking the cover off on my KL.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 am

Its a simple adjustment in your generator. Takes nerves of steel the first time and then its old hat. Did a story on it
http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2016/06 ... c-boating/
basecly you are taking a plate off and using a screwdriver to slightly pry a thing over. How is that for a technical explanation.
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:21 am

Engines are KLS. Mechanic is in the middle of the project, apparently. Word from front desk is "He said he needs to take the generator in to a local shop to have it adjusted." Will see what it turns out to be. Also, will check out the link to the bulletin--thanks.
Dan