Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

And so...the other boat

Although not a Division, this area is for information unique to Chris-Craft Constellations.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Icanoedou

And so...the other boat

Post by Icanoedou » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:43 pm

I'd like to introduce CXA28-315, a 1961 Constellation. There is a very long story behind these two boats. The first one, the 1963 Connie, was purchased on ebay, but stolen before I could get it. This one was purchased to replace it. I recovered the first one a couple of years later thanks to a disgruntled girlfriend. Never expected to have two of these, but now here I am. The 1963 is a twin engine, which is what I really wanted. The 1961 is a single. The good thing is, this one had been running the year I picked it up. Needs a lot of TLC, but not in near as bad shape as the other one, and this one has a lot more character. The windshield frame was rotted out, so starting at the top and working down. Planning to replace the decks and cockpit floor, rewire, and do a lot of sanding, varnishing, and painting. This boat is listed in the Hull registry by previous owner. He admitted to me he was way more interested in cruising than working on the boat.
Attachments
DSC_0029.JPG
The other Connie, other side of barn
DSC_0035.JPG
Replacing windshield frame
DSC_0032.JPG
Front deck with traction paint
DSC_0036.JPG
283 engine
1961 28' Constellation
1963 27' Constellation

Never had a Connie in the water yet.

tkhersom

Re: And so...the other boat

Post by tkhersom » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:54 am

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting story. :shock:
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:57 am

To take on one of these old cruisers, you really have to love doing the work and the restoration process, or if you hire a restorer, you need a huge bag of disposable money to dump into something you love that will never be worth what it ultimately costs. Either way it still expensive. This boat looks a bit more manageable than the first boat. Hope it works out for you.

Dan

Icanoedou

Post by Icanoedou » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:01 pm

Working on rebuilding the windshield frames. Both the upper and cabin frames are similar. There is a lip with a saw cut that might have held a rubber gasket at some point. There is nothing left on mine except a lot of silicone. The cabin windshield was sealed shut. Anybody know what was used as a gasket for where the windshield seats in the wood frame?
1961 28' Constellation
1963 27' Constellation

Never had a Connie in the water yet.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:45 am

I like working and cruising....but try to make sure the emphasis is always on Going Boating....

Good luck with that and thanks for the effort to save an old cruiser....hey? come to think of it....I AM an old cruiser?! but beyond salvation I guess.....

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)