Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

CC Fly Bridge Stain color

This new forum is your direct link to the Chris-Craft Collection at the Mariners' Museum. Learn more about the collection, benefits of being a member and post your questions here.

Moderator: Mariners

comfortablynumb

CC Fly Bridge Stain color

Post by comfortablynumb » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:51 pm

Need help here!! I am currently refinishing the interior fly bridge of my 1965 46' Chris Craft Constellation and have not been able to decipher the stain that was used in this area... there is an area on the strbd canopy top (looking up) that has a fairly good representation of the finish that I would like to match (if possible)..... does anyone know what this might be.... ??
Attachments
IMG_1347.JPG
this is the strbd side looking up ....

Greg Wallace

Re: CC Fly Bridge Stain color

Post by Greg Wallace » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:45 am

Pretty sure was what Chris Craft called "Golden Walnut".
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

comfortablynumb

Post by comfortablynumb » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks for responding Greg...... I have done a sample using Sandusky's Chris Craft Golden Walnut .... it doesn't appear to be close.... however... again... due to aging... it should lighten up to this kinda reddish brown color huh? Have you seen anything done in Cordova? And if this was original.... I don't think Chris Craft would have "mixed" Stains... so it either the Golden Walnut or Cordova.... maybe if I did a 1:5 washcoat first it would lighten it up enough? :?:

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:59 pm

I would use the Sandusky golden walnut...Also keep in mind most varnishes will also add a bit of an amber tint.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

comfortablynumb

Post by comfortablynumb » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:33 pm

Thanks guys for the help...... I have made the choice ...... Golden walnut it is!!.... all is prepared...... since I am outside (covered slip).... I am going to have to wait till next year as the humidity is a bit to high.... dew point is upon us :( so will apply next May or June..... wish you all well..... I will be spending my winter rebuilding my Gen-set :) lol

Bob.....