Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Access to the Boat Buzz

This topic area is for Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club members only and is not viewable by the general public.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

mfine

Re: Access to the Boat Buzz

Post by mfine » Sat May 18, 2013 6:57 am

The following picture, if it exists, was posted from an iPhone.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (13.5 KiB) Viewed 5115 times

mfine

Post by mfine » Sat May 18, 2013 7:01 am

Ok, if you hit the post reply button on the bottom left, you get the text entry box. On the bottom left of that, below the save preview submit bar, it says options and next to that, upload attachment. Hit that, then hit choose file. The iPhone should walk you through the rest.

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks for the info. I'll try it again and see if it works this time.
Attachments
image.jpg
Here's my boat with wheelhouse refinished taken last year.

Rugger8

Post by Rugger8 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:13 pm

As Parroteyes recommended, I am in support of this option.

I remain in favor of "I it ain't broke .....", but a possible compromise:
Make all visitors log in either as members or visitors.
Send visitors to a " we are really cool, join us screen" before they can view the rest.

PS, also in favor of discontinuing print Brass Bell.

I also joined and found this site by having access to Boat Buzz. So, as for limiting pictures, maybe, but I would try the above mentioned items first.

My 2 cents.

Jeff

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:48 pm

I am still of the opinion that the Buzz should be for paying members only. How about, like our local newspaper, you get to read a half dozen articles before you have to pay. Give em a taste.

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:29 pm

I have brought this up before...

go to Google and search for "sql timeout experts exchange". The first result will be a website called experts-exchange.com. Click on the Google result... you will see the first post in the thread, and then they tell you that if you sign up, you get an answer. You won't be able to clearly see the answer or anybody's input on the thread, just a shadow of it. Scroll all the way down the page, noting how well they try to sell themselves. Worked for me anyway... I signed up for that site years ago, pay a fee every month, and am happy about it (all the sign up gibberish goes away once you have an account, obviously).

I think the Buzz would gain quite a few members going this route, without "giving away the farm".

Bobby

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:15 pm

apprecitate all the comments and thoughts.

i know this:

1. Boat Buzz is a great asset of the CCABC
2. It benefits many people both non-members and members
3. It serves a vintage boating community purpose that the CCABC is happy and proud to provide
4. Has an intangible value exponential to the dues of the Club
5. Is WAY under utilized
6. Is not marketed well among the hobby
7. Could do a lot more to increase membership

Question is how?

Our first step was to re-brand and get the site/software up to date, Put a check in that box.

Next step is to launch a branded marketing campaign, that is coming soon :wink:
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Internet: Google AdWords. Would ensure top listing for searches, and as long as something like I mentioned above is implemented, ROI would be very good.

Real world: a team of members is appointed to contact as many classic boat brokers as possible, offering them a $50 kickback on every classic sold which includes a CCABC flyer in the owners packet.

I know if both those things had been in place when I bought my boat, I would have joined a month earlier than I did.

Bobby

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:51 am

I'm not against change. I like all that have been made. It seems the club is a success. So I favor "if it ain't broke...."

I'm so satisfied with what I have. Used to access by computer. Now via iPhone.

Every morning look at new posts. Stay logged in. Perfect.

Appreciate no ad clutter.

I wonder what "growing the membership or the budget" would accomplish.

I don't mind the "free riders" unless we really need more income. If we do I think we ought to identify new sources and evaluate restricted access to other alternatives.

Ken Miller

Post by Ken Miller » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:47 am

Please don't discontinue printing The Brass Bell.

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:36 am

Ken - Moving to an electronic only Bell is not something that is even remotely under consideration. Yes, the Bell is expensive to produce and mail distribution adds to those costs. We are also keenly aware of the feedback on this issue which has been received - solicited and unsolicited - over the past year or two and by a very strong margin, members wish to continue the magazine in print form. At this point, we can expect the prinited version to continue.

While it is obvious that electronic distribution would be much cheaper (well over half of the club's very significant Bell related costs are print and mail related), it is not something our membership is ready to embrace. Splitting the distribution along the lines of preferences by offering a choice is not really cost effective, as print costs rapidly fall with numbers printed so all the hard costs of the print set up would remain, supported by a smaller number of mailed magazines - we are not there yet.

Paul Harrison

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:39 am

I chime in with those that want to keep the print version. I use both. You could use a lighter pound paper, while it's nice, it's not really necessary to use such heavy paper.

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:47 am

The fact is we can do both and should. Only issue right now is some reinvestment into our web structure to support digital Bell.

When the final Bell is ready to print it is in the form of a very large PDF file. From that point the digital file can be "dumbed" down and changed into various formats etc to deliver to membership.

We are not there yet as Paul stated. Our first attempt was made by uploading all the current Bells back to 2006 on the main Club web page.

If you have not tried that you are missing out. PS. you have to be logged in.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:57 am

I have viewed some of the past issues electronically. I publish a small newspaper and the only digital version we have available foe folks is a PDF version so I appreciate what the club has done to make e-versions available. Great magazine! I'm always starved for Cruiser articles! Mine is a work in progress (3yrs. & counting), thus my inclinations.

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:01 am

I love the cruiser stuff as well. We need more owners to come forward and contribute.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:56 pm

Kind of a change of topic here but does anybody know where the old Chris-Craft factory was in Cadillac Michigan thanks,
Bill

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:32 pm

To get back on this old subject and Don's original post. I am still having to log in each time, and that is a pain, I can not get my machine do the log in automatic deal.....just stupid me I guess? But a pain.

I guess we must have DONE what was suggested, because until I log in I can look at any pics or read some post???

Guess we have this all set up now....so I am just on a whine about the can't stay logged in nor auto log in.

John in Va.

ClassOf56

Post by ClassOf56 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Just a quick follow up, I recently joined, primarily to view the pictures and to use boat Buzz. I am not sure if I can justify $50 a year for the next 20 years, but for the foreseeable future, I am in.