Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Positive Changes for the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club

This topic area is for Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club members only and is not viewable by the general public.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Horstuff

Post by Horstuff » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:16 pm

RRGadow wrote:I was thinking the same thing...How about some Chris Craft Cruisers?
Agreed x 10!
1948 27' Super DeLuxe Enclosed Cruiser

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:19 pm

JohnKadimik wrote:I'am not sure why the Brass Bell is being delivered on line before the actual hard copy magazine gets to the mailbox. I looked forward to the Brass Bell in the mailbox with all it's new stories and info,but now I have read it before it gets here. Seems to me the process is reversed.And while I'm bitching',with all the interesting and untold stories about Chris-Craft's why do we have a story about a Ventnor? We are the CCABC!

John;

We posted it online so that those who wanted could see it before it came in hardcopy. If one does not wish to spoil it then don't download.

Also, more importantly we are showing the membership that we are actually doing things. It was a show of good faith. Hope you can understand that.

As for content other than Chris-Craft, a vast majority of our membership has not expressed dissatisfaction with the Brass Bell in the past, quite the opposite. Frankly we are extremely lucky to have Bill Baldwin as Editor and we support his work.

For those who say they want to see this or that in the upcoming issues all I have say is we welcome your submissions and we need them.

Please contact Bill Baldwin with your ideas at
[email protected]

Regards
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:35 pm

Don, I sent Bill Baldwin an e-mail on March 9, 2012 about helping with the Brass Bell or anything else with CCABC. Got no response. Why would it be different now ?

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:44 pm

No different, No response. Also I find the day-glo orange high lighted names very un "team" like. Very egotistical.

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:47 pm

lol....and John, you expect something different? :D
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

Oberon01

Post by Oberon01 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 pm

JohnKadimik wrote:No different, No response. Also I find the day-glo orange high lighted names very un "team" like. Very egotistical.
John - the orange highlighting is only there to identify those with adminstrator or moderator status. It has nothing to do with ego - it is a simple form of demaracation. Anyone who is a moderator or administrator will be highlighted, regardless of whether or not they are on the BOD. I am not a moderator and I do not believe my name is highlighted.

I have made inquiries as to the lack of a response to your earlier e-mail and you may expect an explanatory reply in the near term. I apologise on behalf of the BOD for the problem.
1926 Mullins 16' Outboard Special
1940 CC 19'Custom
1946 Gar Wood 22' 6" Sedan
1946 16' Peterbrough Falcon
1947 CC 16' Special Runabout
1947 Chris Craft 22' Sportsman
1948 CC 25' Sportsman Sedan
1959 Feather Craft Islander Express Cruiser
1961 CC 21' Continental
1965 Glastron Futura 500 V -164
1965 CC Sea Skiff 24'

Stovebolt

Post by Stovebolt » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:46 am

Just to clarify, no matter what message board system you use, as soon as you issue "Moderation", or "Admin" status to someone, their name changes color.

There IS a way to change it, it was done on my board, but I have NO IDEA how it was changed. It's in the code.......and I'm good at video games, so I'll be of no help there.

But I can ask our web guy if you want me too.
1961 Chris Craft 17' Ski Boat
1973 15.6' Hourston Glasscraft

Rabbit

Post by Rabbit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:31 pm

I realize this thread is running out of gas, but I wanted to thank Bill Basler for giving so much to the club. Brass Bell under his leadership was simply a work of art, delivery dates be dammed! I also thank Bill Baldwin for taking over the publication.

But I'd like to make an observation about the change in the magazine. I realize that pages had to be cut and paper stock pulled back, but while reading the new issue and comparing it to one of Basler's I noticed one significant change. One thing that Basler did so brilliantly was choose the photography. He concentrated on beautiful boats on the water and the utter joy of the hobby. By comparison, the most recent issue's photography was primarily of the restoration process... rotting frames, rusty engines.

We're all interested in the process, but PLEASE bring back the beauty of the hobby.

Stovebolt

Post by Stovebolt » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:02 am

As someone who loved the old Brass Bell, and as somone who hasn't received the new one,(because the US postal service hates my guts up here), I think before we start ripping apart the new BB, I think we should give the group a few issues to get thier feet wet, so to speak, with what I can only imagine, is one daunting process. I'm sure as the editorial group get familiar with what needs to happen to get the magazine to our mail boxes, they will be more comfortable with the stories and photos that go into it. Lets cut em some slack.

They have stepped up out of their own personal time, for free, to get this whole deal running properly, FOR THE REST OF US, so we have this rad place to discuss the boats and hobby we love so much. I could give a rats ass about the quality of the new BB for the first few issues, as long as this club is running smooth again.

And in a quick response to Rabbit, with all due respect, the "beauty of the hobby", to me, is getting into my boat, and starting the 283 in it, and listening to the exhaust as a rip across a waveless lake, not a magazine on shitty stock. :wink: :D
1961 Chris Craft 17' Ski Boat
1973 15.6' Hourston Glasscraft

Captbob626

Brass Bell

Post by Captbob626 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:04 pm

Al,
I did not receive one either.
Thank you in advance.
Bob

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:20 pm

Bob, I just received mine on Thursday 7/26/12. Let us know if you don't see it soon.

Rabbit, we want you, and all, to know that we are listening. You made some very good points regarding photography and art which are important factors in providing a high quality publication.

The Fall issue was the new BOD's first effort at this and I feel that we did a very good job of putting the magazine together (based on our humble beginnings). With constructive criticism, such as yours, we will improve as we move forward.

As Stovebolt points out, we'll get better; We promise.
Al
Member - Executive Team

Captbob626

Brass bell

Post by Captbob626 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks Al
Will do
Bob

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:18 pm

Got my first real BB last week. Awesome. A beautiful work. Rant: Over
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

Rabbit

Post by Rabbit » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:44 am

I understand what a daunting process it is to publish the Brass Bell. And I thank everyone for their hard work. My comment about the photography was only meant to be helpful going forward, and I'm sure the magazine will keep getting better and better.

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Just wait till you see the next one!!!

Thanks
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

KentJ

2012 Brass Bell?

Post by KentJ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:07 am

With 2012 moving rapidly into the 4th quarter, how is it looking for another issue? The only one i have received was the Fall 2011...

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:13 am

Kent

Please check the last post in the from the club section.

Next issue already mailed

Thx
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com