Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Chris Craft Fiberglass Commander series

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Commander Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Chris Craft Fiberglass Commander series

Post by Paul P » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Hello all,

I understand from a note I received from Bill, that all of the info on this model (and all of the info on some of the other models in this section of the Boat Buzz) got digitally corrupted, and the information was lost. I am re-posting some of the research I have done on the Commander series and I hope this it serves as an informative introduction to the Commander section here on the CCABC forum.

Regards,

Paul

1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Here's more ( exclusive first-time release )

Post by Paul P » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:08 am

Hello all,

Here is another bit of information from a new book I am presently having published, which is just days from being released; "Restoration of the Fiberglass Chris Craft Commander, Including Classic Fiberglass Lancer and Corsair Runabouts, A Photo-Intensive Documentation of World-Class Restorations".

Of the 14 chapters (each one spending up to 15 to 20 pages each, on a notable restoration project) one of them will be familiar to Boat Buzz and CCABC fans, as it focuses on a certain XL-175 project by a guy who was "formerly" known as a dyed-in-the-wool wood boat guy. This particular restoration is proof that you can have full respect and admiration for our awesome Chris Craft wood boat heritage, but you can also respect (and enjoy) the fine products Chris Craft built in fiberglass during a very competitive and dynamic time frame, beginning in 1963 (a year before the release of the first Commander). After all the work is done, and this particular boat is splashed this spring, then I think we will all begin hearing more about the on-the-water performance of this "bomb" of a boat (to use Chris Craft's own marketing words of description for this model).

I think there is some good information here, please overlook any talk about "the book" because this is a direct exerpt taken out of the book. I hope you enjoy this as an information piece, it is the first time anyone outside of the internal editing group has seen it.

Here is a perfect indication of how "the classic fiberglass revolution” has gained respect
from antique and classic boating fans world-wide during the last twenty years, from my
friend, Curt Radford:

“Several years ago, I attended an antique and classic boat show on the Lake Winnebago
system in Wisconsin. As I was docking our 1967 38' Chris Craft Commander, I was met by
a very angry show representative who demanded that I leave. When I asked why, I was told,
"You know why." The implied reason was that our boat was of fiberglass and not of wood
construction. I argued that our boat was older than many there on display. Despite this
fact, we were not able to tie up the boat.”

The above quotation by Curt Radford, MD, was originally published in an article he wrote for Classic
Boating Magazine, published in the July / August 1997 edition.
My how times have changed! Many thanks to Dr. Radford, for being a mentor and spark-plug in putting such a focus on the Commander series.

Regards,

Best,

Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

animalguy10

55 42 foot Com

Post by animalguy10 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:35 pm

When I bought my boat I honeslty was learning and thought it was a Connie... how i learn..lol

I have a 1955 Commander. Love the boat its 80 percent done trying to keep it original as posible.. hull was good replaced full transom and now workign inside..
Ill be sure to be askign questions this is a great resource thanks to all of those who keep it going.

ed laning

Post by ed laning » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Lookin' good! Sure is a nice workshop you have there.
1978 22' CC Dory outboard

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:15 pm

The boat in the picture is niether a Constellation or a Commander. It is from the Double Cabin Flying Bridge Cruiser family, possibly a Corsair or a Catalina. But it's not a Commander.

If you post your hull number we can tell you what model it is.
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:26 pm

I believe it's a 1955, 42' Commodore. It appears that the aft deck coaming has been modified a bit. The original coaming continued sloping to the transom. Your hull number is probably COM-42-000 series. Chris-Craft built 44 of these. They used this same hull to build the Express (EX-42-)(only 10 built) and the Commander (KM-42-)(77 built in '55 & '56) on but the cabin design was very different for the Commodore, having an aft cabin with fly bridge on top of it.

Al

animalguy10

Well guess what came in the mail today

Post by animalguy10 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 am

Its funny today in the mail came my info from the museum.
com-42-033h |puritan|

the boat is a commodore. the 33 made.

No section here for me... sorry guys..

The baot had that nice shop to sit in the got booted out and shrink wrapped some some of my varnish is back to needed re finishing.. but i have build a all new shop just for my boat 50 by 32 so back at it very soon...

Am I the only guy with a commodore..lol