Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Trimtabs on Cavalier Cruiser?

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Cavalier Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

dag55

Trimtabs on Cavalier Cruiser?

Post by dag55 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:25 pm

I have seen that many Cruisers, Yatchs and Seastrakes are equipped with trimtabs. Anyone who have experience of the use of trimtabs on these boats? Mine is a 36 Seastrake. Is it to any benefit or does it goes without? I do have a set of Instatrim that I might use...
Cavalier 36' Seastrake 1967 "CillaGreta III"
http://chris-craft.org/registry/viewboa ... at_id=2318

Greg Wallace

Re: Trimtabs on Cavalier Cruiser?

Post by Greg Wallace » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:04 am

The short answer is that helm adjustable trim tabs will allow for performance and handling benefits for virtually any planing hull. The downside is that the are expensive, require maintenance, and cause you to drill more holes in your boat.

The key in making your personal decision is in establishing the benefit you will realize or problem you hope to alleviate.

It sounds like your boat has no tabs presently so it would be apparent that for all these years no previous custodian as felt the need to add them.

Fully helm adjustable(not fixed) trim tabs effectively increase the planning surface and provide lift on either side or both at the same time and on demand from the skipper. They would be equivalent to the ailerons and or horizontal stabilizer on an aircraft.

They can help a boat to plane quicker with the same amount of power. maintain plane at lower speed and compensate for a list when on plane.

Ask yourself if any of these attributes would enhance your boating experience and to what degree.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

dag55

Post by dag55 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks for your comprehensive answer Greg :D I've been using trimtabs on other boats and specially deep v-hulls do benefit a lot from trim tabs since they are much more side instable and tend to lay on the freeboard at side wind. Hope there is any Cruiser owner out there who can share their experince.The Seastrake is more a flatbottom construction, but maybe it could improve planning at lower speeds and to force down the bow when going against rough sea. I'm currently doing som quite exstensive repairs and repainting this winter, so the tabs will probably stay in their box until next winter.... :roll:
Cavalier 36' Seastrake 1967 "CillaGreta III"
http://chris-craft.org/registry/viewboa ... at_id=2318

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:11 pm

My 25 foot Lyman had trim tabs already installed when I purchased her and I kept them during the restoration. My passenger load varies considerably from just me to 8 people and the tabs allow me to trim out the boat regardless of the weight distribution. I can tell when someone is walking around back there and transferring to a different seat when we're underway. With the tab controls, it's easy to re-trim accordingly. While the Lyman not as large a lapstrake as your boat, I think you would be impressed with what the tabs could do for better planing and balancing the ride.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:42 am

As a long time seastrake owner, 33 footer, I can assure you that my boat would never have come on plane until amost WOT without trim tabs...and big ones....boat leveler brand.
Since I never ever ran the 350's at Wide Open Throttle....ever.....the trim tabs got me up and going.
there is lots of water weight added to boats that age......if you want to get better performance, fuel economy, and load/trim adjustment...by all means I would get the trim tabs. Actually, I find it hard to believe your boat will plane out without them?

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)