Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Cavaliers

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Cavalier Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

aliwildatwork

Cavaliers

Post by aliwildatwork » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:48 pm

I think it fitting that on Easter Sunday we all begin to reflect, share and consider our Cavaliers...I am mid resurrection ( no dis-respect intended to the holiday) of my 68 Cavalier Futura 26' and I am always asking questions of our fellow enthusiasts to aid my quest. There seems no specific simalarity between us other than name and plywood, but the wealth of our experience and our love affair with our vessels (that some swear is a lost case, falling values, rising price of gas..etc) speaks volumes to our commonality and could lead others to be inspired...I know nothing of boats other than what I learn here, read and experience personally...I didn't by a Chris Craft to re-sell it, I bought it to own a boat with character, grace and soul. Mine is one of few left that I can find...three in total on this site, one in Argentina, one briefly seen on Craigslist in Seattle, and another in Europe somewhere...

We are still struggling for a name...learning the ups and downs, reading a lot and trying like the devil to get her back together the way she deserves... It's an enthusiasm for certain!

Let's build a thread!

Kade06

Cavaliers

Post by Kade06 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:49 pm

To borrow a phrase from my Dad "you have to love them like they are a part of your family" otherwise they are another boat and eventually you lose your drive to maintain them. I can't bear the thought of letting her go to someone else because I know they would never treat her as good as I do and I would never forgive myself if something happened after I left her to someone else. I probably go overboard with my feelings but I have been accused of being a little sentimental. We have over 30 years involved with our Cavalier with my Dad handling the first 17 and myself the last 13.
I enjoy your post and look forward to seeing what you've done or have found and how much the boat means to you in such a short time. I also like to see the simlilarities between our boats even though they are 3 years apart and a foot different.
Cavaliers aren't highly coveted and I have though in the past they seem like the red headed step children of chris craft (no offense to anybody) but they have the same soul as any wood boat and to me they have their place among all these beautiful boats.

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Wed May 18, 2011 3:00 am

There is nothing I can think of more than this crazy love affair with this boat. I am jealous of the 32 years Bill had with her but it's really nothing more than respect. Whomever Bill bought her from had her for 10 years...I hope I can be as responsible an owner to keep her going that long. Thanks for the post...

RickN

Re: Cavaliers

Post by RickN » Thu May 12, 2016 5:18 pm

The name's easy, you said it, "Devil Made Me". The only other boat I ever owned was a 16' Hobie Cat w/ jib back in the 70's. So I retired last year and for some reason I needed a boat to go with the still to be purchased lake house. Well I just bought a '64 19' Golden Arrow on Ebay and shipped it from TN to NH and am still looking for the house.
The "boat guy" says he started to give it the once over today and the first thing was to check the dipstick.. yah frothy oil/water mix. The boat just caught my eye and now I'm at the point of what to do. I can't seem to find any pricing service that can value the boat. It's in mostly great original shape except for the blown engine. I'm not as handy as I used to be so labor would have to be paid for. Any ideas are welcome, especially available engines.
Can't seem to insert a picture here but there's one in my profile.

Rick