Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

converting a 15' cav utility to a fine gentleman racers

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Cavalier Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

joe ben

converting a 15' cav utility to a fine gentleman racers

Post by joe ben » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:38 pm

I just purchased a project boat that is in great shape. 1955 cav 15' utility V15-467 with a rebuilt Mr. B motor with zero hours.
I have a restored 1957 cav V15-853 that I have enjoyed for 11 years. I bought the 55 mostly to have the motor as a spare but now have a clean hull with all the hardware. I saw a pic of a racer built from a set of plans from a 1935 popular mechanics magazine.
I THINK i want to take my blank hull and drop a V8 in it to make me a Gentlemans racer. Anyone done this ?? Will it work? Thanks for any feedback.
Attachments
racer.PNG
1955 CC hull.PNG

joe ben

Re: need more info before selling

Post by joe ben » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:34 am

So I got Zero post on plans to convert this 55 cav to a racer and have lost the zeal to do so. Now I need to get rid of it. I have an identical 57 Cav that I enjoy and have a V8 to go in it if I ever need to replace the Model A flat 4.
I need more info on the 55 cav boat and motor to post it for sale. I have had the boat varnished so it would not dry out anymore. The motor was rebuilt by Mr B but don't know when. Does anyone have the records from MR B ? I Have all hardware except gas tank and windshield. hull is V15-467 and the motor is Model A 32056.
ANY reply would be appreciated.
Thanks
Joe Ben

JimF
Club Executive Team

Re: converting a 15' cav utility to a fine gentleman racers

Post by JimF » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:22 pm

I actually have been thinking of doing a similar project but I was thinking of using an 18' boat' Fifteen seems a little small and might be a little squirrely with a big engine and a longer boat would ride a little better. I am not interested in your Cavalier but I wanted you to know at least someone had seen your post.
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"