Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Floor on 1955 17' Sportsman

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

George Emmanuel

Floor on 1955 17' Sportsman

Post by George Emmanuel » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:11 am

[attachment=1]DSC02610.JPG[/attachment]Making nice progress on the boat however I'm still dealing with incorrect previous work. The floor boards are not original. I've viewed Jim Godlewski's photos and some pictures Pete DeVito previously posted. Both are different, however I think Pete's are original in their design,--but I don't know. I have the original front floor board and it does not go under the side covering boards, but I don't know if those were modified at some time to match the replacements. So the question is "Do the floorboards go under the side cover boards or up to them?" In Pete's photos the floorboards go under the covering boards and are notched for the side frames. That makes easy removal for cleaning impossible. I like the design of Jim's because it appears you can easily remove the floors to clean the bilge.

Looking for some guidance here!

George
Attachments
half%20Boat%20Fwd%20Area.jpg
Pete's front floorboard
half%20Boat%20Fwd%20Area.jpg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 814 times
DSC02610.JPG
My boat so far

Pete DeVito

Re: Floor on 1955 17' Sportsman

Post by Pete DeVito » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:01 pm

Hey George,
My 55 Sportsman had original floor boards in it. I have my thoughts as to why Chris-Craft built the floor boards this way. My boat was a Special Sportsman which had ceiling panels. If you would have purchased this boat in a standard sportsman, I don't think it would have come with ceiling panels (planks) it would have been open all the way to the hull planks and the flooring would have had to go all the way out to meet up with the hull planks. I doubt that Chris-Craft built different floor boards and most likely put the same floor boards in all the boats. I also doubt anyone at the factory would have ever thought about removing them in this type of boat. The photo's I sent you were pretty detailed in this area and I also tried to go online to find some others but nothing I would bet is original. You may give Patty a call at the museum to see if she could locate anything for you on the 17" Sportsman. It looks like you found the color for the interior. I can't wait to see it in the water.

What was your interior? Yellow naugahyde, red tolex or the flame red? I hope it was yellow.. I think that would really be different and look great on that boat.

Pete
Past Project 1948 17' Deluxe
Past Project 1957 19' Capri
Future Project 1955 17' Special Sportsman

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 pm

Half Boat Interior 5.jpg
Half Boat int aft area.jpg
George,

Some additional photo's of the floor boards. It never hurts to have more photo's..
Pete

FYI The fuel vent is in the stern
Past Project 1948 17' Deluxe
Past Project 1957 19' Capri
Future Project 1955 17' Special Sportsman

George Emmanuel

Post by George Emmanuel » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Hmm, I thought I posted a reply but it doesn't appear!~ Anyway, thanks for the reply Pete. My hull card says the boat originally had red flame upholstery and gray royelle flooring. The previous owner had new green upholstery installed and I'm going to stay with it. It should look nice with the royelle.

I concur that the floorboards should go under the covering boards to the hull sides, but what threw me off is my original front covering board, which doesn't. Since I placed my post earlier in the day, I've cut new floor boards like yours.

This isn't going to be a trailer queen,---it's going to be used and enjoyed and it should look presentable when I finish. I sincerely appreciate everyone's help and I look forward to seeing everyone at the board meeting in November!