Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

More wood rot repair questions

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

More wood rot repair questions

Post by jbyers » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I found about 4 feet of rot just beneath the rub rail from the front of the bow back. It has penetrated into the hull, pretty deep in some places. It looks like there was a prior interior butt patch along this area from the inside at one time.

I have removed the affected rail and hull rot and need to repair the hull rot and replace that section of rail.

I was thinking about using the West caulk in the deeper spots in the hull and along the perimeter of the dug out rotted area where it meets sound wood to make a good seal and go over it with the West two part epoxy patch that works under water since this is right at the water line.

Is it OK to go over the caulk with two part epoxy patch or is that a no no???

Thanks in advance........

That boat insurance is looking more and more of a good investment before my first launch. :mrgreen:

joanroy

Re: More wood rot repair questions

Post by joanroy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:20 pm

From your description, it sounds like your rot problem is a bit more structural than cosmetic. The products your talking about could be suitable for minor repairs, but it sounds like you should more be thinking about a fairly major repair. Hard to say without seeing it. Post some pictures.

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:16 am

I'll get some pics soon, but I doubt it's structural. It is close enough to the waterline that I have to get it sealed thoroughly or it will be taking on water for sure. I'm trying to get the a little use out of it this summer and I'll reassess the hull work over the winter..... if it lasts that long........

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:14 am

Forgive me if im sounding too harsh...But the repair that you are describing is very amateurish, and shouldn't be done. If you have found rot, that is deep...why wouldn't you replace the wood correctly and do it so that it will be structurally sound? The think you also have to keep in mind is that the rot WILL spread if not taken care of correctly.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:42 pm

It sounds amateurish for a reason......... it is..... LOL. My intent is to make it water tight for the time being and then assess how much wood needs to be replaced in the winter. I don't think the value of the boat will justify an complete re-skinning, but maybe someone will throw me a price I can afford by then. I'm new to this and I am feeling my way through the problem with limited funds. My hope is that I don't make a fatal error that puts the boat at the bottom of the lake........

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Then this is a good time to learn....Do the research and fix it yourself...It will be fulfilling to know you did it, and did it right. When you keep putting patches on these wooden boats it just makes it worse down the road.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:45 pm

I understand..... thanks

ClassOf56

Post by ClassOf56 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:10 pm

Is the boat out of the water? Or are you thinking about doing the quick patch while it is still floating? Perhaps with some pictures, we can come up with a temporary repair that will be safe enough for the summer.

Also, do you boat in a shallow lake and not leave sight of land? Or do you do deep water crossings? Don't put your life on the line with a temporary patch!
Steve A
1956 18' Chris-Craft Continental

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Shallow lake and always within sight of the shoreline. It's out of the water now and the first time it goes in I won't be going far from the boat ramp.

DennyDowning

Post by DennyDowning » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:03 am

I bet you will spend more time and money trying to use the West System stuff then just replacing the bad wood.
Also, the epoxy stuff.....
Just going to make it harder to fix later - and it will need to be fixed.

I understand just wanting to get out for the summer.
And, my friend, time is passing.

You said 4' under the rub rail just at the water line.
So it is at the rear.
You have done a lot to this boat to get it back to life.
Replace the board.... Don't make a minor problem into a big problem.

Denny

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:47 am

It's actually at the front Denny. I guess I'm not too swift on the nomenclature. I've already done a repair using Marine Tex back to good wood and I think it is pretty strong structurally. That said, I do plan on cutting out a few of the rotted sections over the winter and replacing them correctly. I'll keep everyone posted.