Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

swelling

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

dondonsoy

swelling

Post by dondonsoy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:28 pm

being a owner of a henry, cruiser inc. and a penn yan i know about swelling. will my cavalier leak as bad when i float it next year? with it being plywood hull i would not think so just trying to get a feel for what i can expect
just got a 1963 cavalier lokking for any and all info about this cruiser have been in contact with mariners museum

Kade06

Post by Kade06 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:40 pm

With my cavalier I do take on a little water in the beginning but within 24 hours its starting to slow. I've never owned a planked cruiser but from what I've read about them the cavaliers are a lot better at having less take on the the planked cruisers. So in closing I wouldn't expect a lot and it should slow quickly.
Kristian
Chris Craft Cavalier Futura
1965 27 foot "Kristi D"

Don Danenberg

Post by Don Danenberg » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Swelling plywood?

Please think about that?
Last edited by Don Danenberg on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbraker

Post by gbraker » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:13 am

The plywood doesn't swell, but the seam along the chine, and the keelson will seal, because the planks the plywood is up against does take up water.
Gary R Braker

Thommyboy

Post by Thommyboy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:35 am

A plywood lapstrake Cruisers, Inc. boat should not leak or need swelling. If it leaks, there is a problem. Find the source of the leaks and get 'em fixed.

www.thompsondockside.com

AndreasA

dondonsoy

plywood

Post by dondonsoy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:00 am

my question was not about the plywood itself but more about were the ply is tied into the transom/ though hull fitting and just putting 35x12.5 ft of lumber back into a marine enviroment after its been on the hard for years
just got a 1963 cavalier lokking for any and all info about this cruiser have been in contact with mariners museum

gbraker

Post by gbraker » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:12 am

Which Cavalier is it? Do you have any pictures.
Gary R Braker

dondonsoy

cavalier yacht

Post by dondonsoy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:38 am

heres a couple of pics

gbraker

Post by gbraker » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:58 am

If that's a recent picture, then it looks like you have a real nice boat.

I would just go over it thoroughly looking for any signs that seams were coming undone. Look under windows for signs of leaks.

Usually its water that leaks in from the top that causes rot. The back deck where you exit the aft cabin can get rotten. Being plywood there are fewer places where water can sit, and start the rot process. Make sure all the limber holes are open. If water can't escape the plywood can get soft.

I have some experience with the double cabins, a good friend had one for a number of years.

They are a handful in a breeze, because the sit up high and catch the wind.

Since you just got the boat make sure all the packing glands are good. Check the cutlas bearings. The packing and the rubber can dry up and crack with heat and age.
Gary R Braker

dondonsoy

thank you

Post by dondonsoy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:10 pm

she is in good shape on the port quarter i had to cut a 9"x12" section above the water line out were the side joins the transom it had rotted out. all i can figure is the water is getting in under the gunwale. my plan is to use my rotozip and run the length of the gunwale then fill with a epoxy. the deck was once cover with vinyl or waht ever they called it and was rolled under the gunwale. learned that from this site. not able to do it now the weather is to cold now to work with chemicals of any type. first thing in the spring i will do the rorozip patch it and sand re varnish and repaint the entire boat before I launch. after i reseal the entire boat.special thanks gbraker for making think about replacing rudder packing before i launch