Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

uh Oh!

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jfrprops

Re: uh Oh!

Post by jfrprops » Sun May 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Bill,

I think you could actually just paint the roof after stripping off the old nautalex vinyl. Glassing a roof is not the kiss of death anymore than the nautalex is/was. If either is breached you get trouble. Painting allows you to see and fix trouble spots along the way.

Pulling off the old vinyl like I described will be a mess, but won't take but a long day. If you can find the original nautalex cabin top maiterial, you must remember that your boat is too wide to allow covering (cabin top and cockpit top) with two sheets of the material meeting in the middle....won't happen. That stuff is like 54 in. wide and no stretch....no matter what anyone else says...it won't stretch. So you are looking at 3 seams on the refit....

Also when you remove the stainless trim pieces around the edges, you will have to be prepared to fill all the existing screw holes, like with toothpicks soaked in glue or some such.....and then use screws that are oversized at to length...like 1.25's.

I don't advise returning decks underfoot to nautalex, not front decks and gunwales anyway....as that material usually went UNDER the toerails and pulling them up is pandora's box, and trying to run the material up to them and stopping and getting a good seal never works right.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks John. I have no Nautilex on my decks or elsewhere, decks are Teak. My cabin roof was not vinyl but a canvas type material that was infused with a sizing/adhesive type of substance and then painted over. It's been painted at least three times as you can see where sanded through. There's the original white, then a kind of green that was used alot in the late '50's (which some previous owner must have preferred to the white it came with) and then finally another coat of white.

If I do tackle the entire roof I think I would redo it as it was done originally. But your idea of having to put seams in the material I might have to do unless there is a source for the canvas somewhere that would be wide enough.

I have already removed the stainless drip cap which had been filled and painted over. Painstaking task to get it off without damaging it. Can't find a replacement and even if I did it would have been impossible to get the curves exactly right. So I removed the existing and got all of the old paint off and have carefully polished it back. I was inspired by Steve Ternullo's immaculately maintained '50 ft. 1960 Connie to put mine back.
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI
http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... at_id=1708

evansjw44

Canvaas Decking

Post by evansjw44 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:42 pm

CC and most other boat builders used canvas deck covering uo until the 60s. Then Vinyl became the decking of choice. A 1960 CC might have been either. You can remove the old canvas with a heat gun to soften the old canvas bedding and you can remove the canvas bedding with paint remover. You can still buy decking canvas up 12 ft wide and maybe wider. You just have to clean up and fair the cabin top and soak it in 1026 sealer. You might have trouble finding canvas deck cement but I think you can use 214 bedding thinned out to be heavy paste. Lay the canvas on the deck, fold back and trowel on the deck cement then roll the canvas over the cement. staple around the edges and work out the air undeneath with spreaders and rollers. Some old timers like to soak the canvas in water to shrink it down. Otherwise, flat white paint thinned can be used to shrink the canvas. You just keep painting it on the shrink the canvas and seal it tight. Then go to un-thinned flat white and build coats, one or two a day depending. When the grain of the canvas is filled and smooth paint the color of your choice.

I should note the you can use airplane dope to shrink the canvas. You get that from an airport supply store. A good canvas deck job might last 50 years. Remember, every edge must be sealed tight just like vinyl of glass.
Jim Evans

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:50 pm

Was the same weight canvas used for roofs as the decks? And was the process the same?
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Mon May 27, 2013 6:58 am

Bill, fill and paint for now, scape and recanvas come winter time. I'll snap some photos of my quick fix after today...We're going out on the water with the pups. I used almost half a quart of filler all over the top, and a whole quart of paint. I still have the hard top to paint but I'm not afraid of it anymore... I might even tackle the brightwork soon....

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:30 am

Have fun with the pups! My brightwork (exterior) is all done. Just decks and the roof left to do. Also Portside engine to go back in after rebuild, some electrical and whatever else we find once both engines are up and running. I'm assuming stuffing boxes will have to be repacked.

Boat's been on the hard for three years now. That's when I bought her. Not been cruised for 13 yrs. Previous owners had her for 2 yrs. & used her as weekend getaway. Owner before them didn't take it out after developing trouble in Portside engine but did have it pulled and the bottom redone in 2007. I've taken her hull back to bare and completely refinished her. She has an enclosed wheelhouse (custom made all mahogany) also all refinished. Chrome has also all been redone. Steering gone through, rudder straightened.

We've done some interior work, pulled non-original fridge and am going to reconstruct original bunk that was butchered for full sized fridge so she'll sleep 6 again. Windows have all been pulled and trim redone, new tracks where needed, rebedded and original glass reinstalled. Really lots more to do (as always) but priority is to get her useable and back in water, then tinker with all the rest.
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Tue May 28, 2013 5:35 am

Congratulations, Bill...You are definitely almost in the water. There's a Connie one dock over from us that has undergone a lot of the same. A few months ago she sold to another person who is finishing the re-do that was started when they ran out of cash. She's really starting to look like herself again. I don't know what I'd do with 36 feet but it would be nice to have twin engines. Seems as though I've forgotten how to maneuver the single prop...still getting used to the new old engine...

Yesterday was fun, four dogs, three of us and great weather. The lake was choppy, lots of boaters, and very few accidents for the number of people there. We never had so much water on the deck as with the four dogs. bilge pump only came on a minute when we got back to the marina. I am proud of the little boat. I'go over the painting again, she looks dynamite but my impatience shows. Plus, I haven't painted the hard top.

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:17 am

I haven't tried uploading on the site since it's re-do...SO here goes, painted and pretty.
Attachments
IMG_0605.jpg

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Doesn't seem like it's been this long but it has and I couldn't imagine a world without our boat. I look at the boats at our marina all the time, and yes I envy some of the modern amenities, but all & all we have everything they have...awesome deck, head, kitchen, sleeps two, AC, dinette etc... Noticing some issues in the repairs made to the hull... where the seams are, there is paint cracking or lines at the repairs. Never liked the bottom paint "job" it never stuck well from day one.

Just now put in a marine battery charger and the world is different...that trickle amp charger from Walmart that Bill had never did the job.

Noticed too, that the upper deck and cabin roof areas need refreshing, as in replacement and honestly isn't a question of how much but who and when?

If I only had a trailer....and a space to work on her closer to home, oh and nothing to do but fix the boat...

I buy her again tomorrow, buy another today and have no regrets about the yesterdays.

Photos to come of the repairs that are showing there asses...

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:00 pm

I should mention that the other day I went up to the boat to install the new marine battery charger after two days of no charger and walked into two inches of water in the galley...NEVER GOOD. Immediately I started formulating a plan, who to call, what the F, where to start, but because of the electrical issuses I went to the bilge pump pull switch and nothing happened, pulled up the floor board in the galley and checked that bilge pump again, nothin'...shook'm, checked shore power, BAREFOOT????? and for the old and the new on this thread/forum/addiction STILL NO PANIC...4 yrs in and I'm chillin'. Seems the perko switch was on off position. Shore power not auto on pumps/WHAT?

perko off because marina mec worked on horn & lights?
dunno
maybe I shut off, not likely...

really just a heads up and high five to all the fellas who told me not to panic, a time or two ago

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:37 pm

So I'm assuming that you got the pumps running and all was fine?
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:23 pm

Yes, Sorry, turned the perko and the pumps went to work right away...although made me sweat the idea of power outages in a whole other "light"

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:19 pm

One of the things these newer security systems do is to let you know when there's a power failure. It seems that that kind of system might be a prudent thing to do. After all battery backups only last so long. I'm sure there'd be a way to set it up so that even it is turned off manually a warning could be given over your phone or notepad to let you know and give you a chance to correct it.
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI

aliwildatwork

Post by aliwildatwork » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:18 pm

wait wait what? New security system?

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:54 pm

They're wireless and work over the Cellular phone system. Check it out with one of your local security companies.
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Ok, so this is a mystery. Today I got an email notifying me of a new posting to this thread. Clicked on it and there's nothing new here. So how did that happen?

Anyway it got me interested so I reread the entire thread from the beginning on, including the links to other references. I was again amazed at the wealth of knowledge and the willingness of members to share their knowledge. This is what truly makes this avocation enjoyable. Thanks to all you who regularly contribute and to the rest of you who like myself are more occasional in postings.

Ali - I was looking at your latest picture and it appears that the area around your windshield is blacked out. Do you know if that is original? On most Cavaliers of your vintage that is aluminum (usually extruded I'm guessing). This would be an area to receive glare from when out on the water. So having it blacked out is a good idea. On my Connie that area is mahogany and varnished so not a problem. Did you check into the idea of a security/warning system for your boat?
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Here is a link to one such system. Looks to be top notch!

http://gostglobal.com/boat-alarms-yacht ... tch-3G.htm
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI

laclede

Post by laclede » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:51 pm

I had GOST global installed in early July. I researched several of the top companies, and some of the local Seattle security company marine offerings. My general approach was that GOST is an international company, so their software and hardware need to be well thought out and integrated - and I would expect excellent tech support. I thought that GOST would be more secure and reliable, than a smaller local company, with fewer resources.
GOST, as far as I understand it- is for the big boy yachts- it is expensive, and has many options, but- well, it is expensive. if you have some good technical skills, I am sure you can jerry-rig a similar system, for much cheaper.
What I got for my money was a very competent pair of local Seattle tech/reps, who spent time on my boat and took the time to ask what I wanted, and then designed a system that works for me. It took them several days to install the hardware, and the workmanship was excellent. I have sensors for smoke, carbon monoxide, loss of shore power,temperature, motion inside the boat, door or hatch opening, bilge water, propane leak- and, in the case these set alarms- I get a text on my phone, with details, and a video clip. I have four high definition webcams that survey most of the boat, including the engine room , and looking outside, down the dockline.
I can call into the boat, from a remote place, and talk thru a speaker, to anyone on the boat.
This has been a huge help to me because I can watch the webcams on my iphone, at any time. When I am not watching the cams, I have some confidence that I will be notified if something is going wrong. Maybe, in time to avert a crisis.
The local Seattle reps, and the hdqrters tech support in Florida have been helpful with any problems.
I think they usually have a booth at the Seattle Boat Show- and they offer discounts around the boatshow.
If you have a pretty large boat, and you can't get to it daily - this offers a way to watch it closely.
Minimally, there are inexpensive cams like Dropcam- that are really easy to set up yourself, and you can watch your boat thru a local dockside wifi. Just being able to have a cam in the bilge, and seeing parts of your boat, is a huge relief. A local wifi account and three Dropcams would cost maybe 60 bucks a month. It doesn't take much skill or expense to have at least a few cams watching your boat. if you want the whole package, look at GOST. I am happy with their system and support.

whamm511

Post by whamm511 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:40 am

Thank you LaClede. There's nothing like a first hand account from a user. I have a Defender system which utilizes 4 webcams (it can do up to 8 with my existing equipment). This is at my house and works in conjunction with my existing security system. I asked my tech if it could be used on my boat and the answer was as long as I have WIFI it will work. He also said that it could be modified to work over a cellular network with addition of a portable WIFI to Cellular connection. The Defender system costs nothing to operate just your regular Sec. System monthly charge. The portable WIFI would run $60/mon. add'l on my cell bill. It is capable of doing most of the functions as the GOST system. It couldn't tell if water was coming in but it could tell me if the bilge pumps were not working. I'd have to set up one of the cams to watch the bilge.
Bill Hammond
1960 36' Connie
Flint/Port Huron, MI