Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Help new bottom or fiberglass?

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

tiffanyblakeney

Help new bottom or fiberglass?

Post by tiffanyblakeney » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:36 pm

I have a 17ft 1960 Chris Craft Ski boat and I want to either fiberglass the bottom or replace it. My boat does not show and I am hoping not to sink more than it is worth on the bottom. It floats but does leak, I replaced some boards but at least one more might need to be replaced. I live in Northern California. If I do fiberglass, should I glass over what I have or save up and spend $20-30k on a new bottom? I am new to the forum and would love some advice.

Captain Nemo

Re: Help new bottom or fiberglass?

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:13 pm

Hi, Welcome to the Boat Buzz.
The question you're asking really isn't an either or answer IMHO it's an emphatic no on glassing over an existing bottom. If there are any problems glassing just encapsulates them and exacerbates any rot that may be there. You may get by for a season or two but anything beyond that is asking for more troubles.
The real solution is obviously replacement either a West System or a 5200 bottom. I would lean toward the 5200 as it is more flexible.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

tiffanyblakeney

Post by tiffanyblakeney » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:45 am

Thank you Captain Nemo but any idea how much that would cost? So far I am getting quotes for $20-30k for a new bottom which makes it hard to justify when that is more than the boat is worth. The CC Ski boat is not as historic as other CCs. Also, met a guy with a 1920's CC 27ft and he had fiberglassed his bottom and said it is holding up fine. (The guys who did it retired though) I have read where some say they get another 20 years out of their bottoms. However, my bottom has at least one plank that needs to be replaced. In the water, the pumps do stop running and only have less than an inch in the bottom where the plug is. It just gets water when we are driving around.

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:21 pm

The old rule of thumb was $1,000.00 per foot for a bottom replacement to start. I’m sure that has changed. So the numbers are probably not too far out of line.
It’s really all about what sort of cost you are willing to incur.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

tiffanyblakeney

Post by tiffanyblakeney » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:46 am

Ok, well have to decide if it's worth it. Any recommendations for bottom builders in Northern California?